Old 05-04-2014, 01:07 PM
EmiliasNana

Default Timely post and willing neighbors = recovery quilt

The morning I saw dcquilter's post, Scrappy Blue/Brown Yellow Brick Road, our dear neighbor came over and said he was diagnosed with cancer. I immediately ordered the Comfort of Psalms panels and received them the day after Easter. I started cutting scraps (red, white, blue and gold) as soon as I got the panels and could size the blocks. I didn't have the Yellow Brick pattern but could figure it out pretty much from the posted picture. I thought it would be a great get well "card/quilt" from the neighbors. Three neighbors are beginning quilters but they readily agreed to help out when they saw how simple each block was. Each of the 3 took 14 blocks, which left me with 14 as well. Our fourth neighbor has 5 kids (7-15), and not knowing if she sews or even if she has the time, I enlisted the entire family's help in making the quilt label, a rather large 8 1/2" x 11" colorful get well wish we could all sign. I think the kids will actually upstage the quilt with their artwork : ) We all met last Tuesday evening (after I got back from Paducah) to use my design wall. I sewed all the blocks together on Wednesday, pieced the flannel backing and sandwiched on Thursday, and quilted and bound it on Friday and Saturday. I wanted to complete the quilt in time for our neighborhood eat-out Saturday night. That way everyone could see their handiwork and sign the label. I finished at 3:45 pm! LOL Today I finished sewing on the label. Our dear neighbor is due to return home from surgery mid-week and it is our hope that the quilt will provide a reminder of how special we think he is: on his Road to Recovery. I think it was Divine Providence that I saw dc's quilt on the very day I needed a simple idea for a friend in need. She was delighted I could use her idea for such a worthy cause. Thanks again dc!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]474519[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]474520[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails recovery-quilt.jpg   edited-label.jpg