Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I would be willing to - would you?

Power Poster

I would be willing to - would you?

If I borrowed a book or tool from someone - I would be willing to leave some " collateral" with the person until I returned the item.

I have let people borrow things - and never seen them again. I think their memories might have been better if some of THEIR property was also involved.

I am also thinking having some sort of registry might be a good thing. For what I have of other people's things -with name , address, and contact number. And vice versa.

Power Poster
    Sounds reasonable to get something of equal value, like fabric. It also helps to put your address stickers on things before lending.

sounds reasonable to me - I try to only loan to people I know will return and return it in good shape. I won't borrow something unless I am will to replace it if something happens while I have it!

I agree with quiltstringz~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Oh, the books I have 'lost'.......
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Over the years of lending and never getting items back I have learned to ask for the item after a month or so. Usually I just say, I need it back to do something or someone else needs the item. (I usually blame it on my sister since she lives out of state, and I say I need to send it to her.) It wouldn't occur to me to ask for collateral - just say when you lend it you will need it back in a week or 2 because of whatever reason you want. Some people do forget, so it is not usually intentional just ask for the item back. If they say they already returned it ask them to be specific when it was, maybe you forgot they returned it.

I required collateral when I taught middle school for kids who never had a pencil, etc. It worked with them. Their collateral was a piece of jewelry, their lunch card, etc. Seldom did anyone forget to return my "goods" at the end of class!
    For quilters, the collateral might be of more value as a reminder, but it might work!

Some very good suggestion. If I loan something out, it is usually something NOT important to me so if I don't get it back, I won't be upset. I would NEVER loan out my bargello quilting books!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post

I feel your Pain. 😂

Judy in Phx, AZ

I would be willing to do that!! I received a book from a very special friend...I had not read it yet, and "someone" asked if they could borrow it...I can not, for the life of me, remember who I lent it to! On the other hand, several years ago I lend an acquaintance some very specific music cd's...completely forgot about it. Last year he was at a get together I was at ...and brought me my cd's! Nice surprise!

Oh, if only I could lend my aches and pains......and they'd forget to bring them back!!!!
    A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes. ~Hugh Downs
    Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns.I am thankful that thorns have roses.~Allophones Karr
    “The happiest people I know are those who lose themselves in the service of others." — Gordon B Hinckley

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." ~ Confucius

Blog Entries
    No lending or borrowing here. Just not worth it.
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

At one point I did make a list of who borrowed what (usually quilting patterns or books). I could never remember who had what, and money was tight, so I couldn't afford to be "giving" stuff away. It worked pretty well.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

I just tell them that I don't lend to anyone anymore because I have lost too much stuff and can't afford to lose any more. It is the truth.

Never a lender be......learned my lesson. I have had items actually stolen at retreats. I don't lend at retreats anymore, because normally at the end, everyone is throwing their stuff and mine in their bag....whether I have I.D. on them or not....and I don't like running around trying to remember who borrowed what. So now my answer is no. I have also found that when there is not a community iron, I cannot afford to lend mine....it was always in use by someone who didn't want to lug theirs to class. As a result, I would get behind making my block, while the instructor was on to the next portion of the class...everyone was over looking at her next set of instructions and there I was still ironing on the other side of the room....Basically, these moochers are inconsiderate. I usually have my daughter in class with me now, and we share. Sorry to everyone else....

Blog Entries
    I'd be willing to leave something of value on a loan. I think that would improve my memory. I am always paying late fee's at the library.Which has turned out to be a good thing. My old library had a book sale before I moved out here and she set aside the quilt books for me. I got 12 at $5 each- at check out time I got my favorite 5 books free - because of all the late fee's I paid on them.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Books permanently " borrowed", tools evidently " used up", but the worst is my VHS and CD's! I now put old address labels on the spine and front of them so I might get them back. I have learned to keep a notebook of such activities.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Best advice I got was to take a picture of the borrower with the item on my phone, so I would always have a visual reminder handy…plus, most people remember having their picture taken!
    People who start projects and never finish them are cooler
    than people who never start projects at all.

http://quiltingquick.weebly.com/blog.html

I have calendars with big spaces for Dr. etc appointments, if you loan, write down who and what on Calender if you could have them initial it, that way you know where things are and if no calender available, a piece of paper so you can write it down later.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
    Never a lender be......learned my lesson. I have had items actually stolen at retreats. I don't lend at retreats anymore, because normally at the end, everyone is throwing their stuff and mine in their bag....whether I have I.D. on them or not....and I don't like running around trying to remember who borrowed what. So now my answer is no. I have also found that when there is not a community iron, I cannot afford to lend mine....it was always in use by someone who didn't want to lug theirs to class. As a result, I would get behind making my block, while the instructor was on to the next portion of the class...everyone was over looking at her next set of instructions and there I was still ironing on the other side of the room....Basically, these moochers are inconsiderate. I usually have my daughter in class with me now, and we share. Sorry to everyone else....
    That is how I have gotten to be with age, I am tired for working hard to get what I have someone thinking they have a right to it anyway.

I only lend to my friends in my small quilt group. We know we can come to each others home anytime and get it back anytime. LOL I stay away from cheapo quilters who come to a workshop and expect to borrow what they need. I just say No, it's mine for my use. Moochers have thick skin and just go on to the next person to mooch off of and leave me alone.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

My mother loaned books and she had a card with their name on it and also made sure her name was in the book. She still lost a lot of books.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I've been practicing with a dremel tool for etching. I have a certain number etched onto different tools of my DH and mine. Not SSN#. You can use certain dates only backwards. DH had to chase down a skill saw that belonged to his father. He had description and serial number but I was practicing on it with an old dremel and etched a different number in a different spot. It ended up in a pawn shop. We got it back after 9 months. Never again did we loan anything out after that. It either never came back or if it came back, it needed to be repaired. We met the police at the pawn shop. Told DH to look for his mother's birthdate on it. There it was! Also had her initial in the middle and at the end of the date. Have used this method for other item's I always record it.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have just gotten to where I tell people I'm not sure how soon I'll need it so, it won't be going any where. Some people believe notions are like ink pens. Everyone walks off with them. You don't see them again.

If you want to keep it don't let anyone borrow it. That is the lesson that I've learned.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast