Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I would be willing to - would you?

Blog Entries
    When I belonged to a larger group I kept a list of what I had loaned and to whom. They couldn't say "it wasn't me" when I asked for it back. Must admit it was as much for me as them. I have a mind like a sieve at times.

Blog Entries
    my youngest was SOOO bad about returning things we would keep a shoe and when he returned what he borrowed he would get it back
    Patski
    always learning

I use address labels in books. I was recently clearing out a family home and discovered in some of MIL's books were signed inside and dated, like Happy Birthday Sue Love Aunt Josephine 1937.

DH has lost more tools than most people own in a lifetime.

The straw the broke the camels back about lending was he lent his employer a plumbing snake it was returned. When Hubs needed it, he discovered it was returned broken!
    Last edited by Dawn227; 02-28-2015 at 05:17 AM. Reason: I posted a reply to a comment and it didn't show in right spot.

I have a LOT Of books. When I loan one to someone I always write their name down with the date they borrowed it IN FROM OF THEM so they know I will remember (if they don't) who has borrowed a book. I don't think any of my friends would not purposely NOT return something they've borrowed.....but it is hard to keep track sometimes.

First I would not loan any quilting stuff. Anything else if I really wanted it back I would not loan it out. That has happened to me many times. Guess I am just an old selfish gut. lol

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
    sounds reasonable to me - I try to only loan to people I know will return and return it in good shape. I won't borrow something unless I am will to replace it if something happens while I have it!
    I vote for this.
    Sweet Home Alabama

I have a dear friend who has hundreds of movies they let people borrow. She keeps a notebook that everyone is required to sign and date with email address. After a month or so, if not returned she gives them a call or email. She says it keeps every one on good terms and she has always gotten all of her movies back.

Blog Entries
    No, I would not ask for collateral. Ever. When I loan,something to someone I just look on it as a potential gift. If they bring it back that's great but, if they don't, I've already considered it a gift. I' m sure in my almost 78 years I've inadvertently forgotten to return something just because "life happened".

it as a possible gift

A gal in our guild borrowed circle templates from me, and after awhile I forgot about them. Three yrs. and spending $28.00 on new templates the gal brings them to me. I no longer loan because of her.
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

My dad and a friend had a agreement. When one or the other borrowed something, the one who it was borrowed from would go and collect it. It worked for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
    I just tell them that I don't lend to anyone anymore because I have lost too much stuff and can't afford to lose any more. It is the truth.
    I agree with jitkaau

My generosity has been taken for granted far too many times.

Just sounds a tad bit controlling to me! I f I have a friend and they borrow something...after a while I just ask for it back...simplest way to go...I'm not a banker..asking for collateral puts your friendship on a level I don't want to be on with my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie View Post
    At one point I did make a list of who borrowed what (usually quilting patterns or books). I could never remember who had what, and money was tight, so I couldn't afford to be "giving" stuff away. It worked pretty well.
    Quiltn-nannie,
    I think that's a really good idea. Sort of like a lending library does it. I never remember either. Fortunately I only lend to my sister.

Power Poster
    Sounds like a good idea to me...

The suggestion of taking a photo with the item is spot on!!! I would use that if I ever lent anything out which I do not been burned!!!

I was advised a long time ago to never loan anything if you would not be willing to consider it a gift.

That way if/when it is returned, it is a pleasant surprise and if it never comes 'home', you have less hard feelings.

Usually I forget who borrowed what and just wonder where that item disappeared to. Lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2