Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on machine >

Quilting on machine

Quilting on machine

Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 AM

Has anyone quilted on a sewing machine free style? If so, can you give me some pointers? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Make a sample with all three layers to practice on.
It takes awhile to get good at it.
There are all kinds of notions but so far I havnt found them very useful but a lot of people like them.
The slider, the ring, gloves, I dont like any of them.
A large throat machine and a flat bed around your machine are the best helps. Also some simple designs to follow, like leaves or hearts around the border.
Borders are the easiest to do because the quilt is always to the left of the machine so you are not stuffing it through all the time.
A darning foot with an open front so you can see where you are going and be sure the feed dogs are down.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

There are a lot of threads on this. Try using the "search" option to look for free motion quilting or FMQ.

To see FMQ in action, try this website:
http://www.freemotionquilting.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com also has some good videos.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:08 PM

The best thing I ever did was sit at the 'needle end' of the machine instead of the 'front' of the machine. That way the left hand is 'behind' the machine and the right hand is in 'front' of the machine and neither hand was hitting the inside throat. Clear as mud? How about you move 1/4 the way around your machine to the left, then face your machine. Clear up the picture any? Good luck!

Also, have a full flat surface otherwise your quilt will get caught on the 'corners' and it will mess up the stitching.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Google Goddess

Thanks for starting this thread, lots of nice comments.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:31 PM

NEVER would have thot to sit @ the end of machine.. (just like the BIG guys!) Thank you Thank you Thank you.. Sometimes the simplest things are not so evident
Old 04-05-2011, 04:05 AM

I also have a question how do you pin a king size quilt for sewing on a machine? I have pinned baby quilts using the floor but have no room to lay out the king size one.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Marie
Make a sample with all three layers to practice on.
It takes awhile to get good at it.
There are all kinds of notions but so far I havnt found them very useful but a lot of people like them.
The slider, the ring, gloves, I dont like any of them.
A large throat machine and a flat bed around your machine are the best helps. Also some simple designs to follow, like leaves or hearts around the border.
Borders are the easiest to do because the quilt is always to the left of the machine so you are not stuffing it through all the time.

How do you finish off the stitches on the back? I always end up with nests and then I trim off when done.
A darning foot with an open front so you can see where you are going and be sure the feed dogs are down.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 PM

I take big ones to one of our club houses where I can put tables together to make a large table, size of the quilt. We use tables at the fellowship hall at church too. That way you're not on the floor crawling all over it.
Originally Posted by Merlin's Mama
I also have a question how do you pin a king size quilt for sewing on a machine? I have pinned baby quilts using the floor but have no room to lay out the king size one.
Old 04-10-2011, 04:08 PM

I take big ones to one of our club houses where I can put tables together to make a large table, size of the quilt. We use tables at the fellowship hall at church too. That way you're not on the floor crawling all over it.
Originally Posted by Merlin's Mama