Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting Software >

Quilting Software

Quilting Software

Old 12-10-2016, 12:45 PM

Red face Quilting Software

I am seriously considering buying quilting software as a tool to help me in layout/design. Electric Quilt 7 seems to be the premiere program, and while I have good computer skills, my quilting skills are not there (yet!). I mostly work with squares (5"/6"/8"10") and rectangles (5"x 10"). Since any software is going to allow one to use various block layouts, I am most interested in being able to scan my own fabrics and use those in my quilt design. This is especially important to me when I use layer cakes and charm packs (5" x 5") which have multiple fabric patterns in them. So, I have come across good reviews of Quilt Pro and their scaled-back 1-2-3 Quilt! version of Quilt Pro. Either one seems to me to be perfect for my needs.

My question is this: Do any of you have any experience using quilting software and if so, could you share your preferences, experiences, etc. with me and other quilters?

Thanks!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 12-10-2016 at 01:03 PM. Reason: remove shouting/all CAPS
Old 12-10-2016, 04:23 PM

I have EQ7--it does all the things you want it to do. They just put out a Mini EQ7 for about half the price--not sure what all it does but check it out too. I'd say if you are just starting to develop your skills you might want to go ahead and go big on the design program as you're sure to get into more involved quilts in the future. Just my opinion.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Gay

I too have EQ7 - marvelous for designing quilts, pieced and applique blocks. There are loads of videos on Youtube showing features of both programs. It depends how much you want to spend, but I wouldn't swap for a different one.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:07 PM
Power Poster

Put EQ7 in your shopping cart on the Quilt for a Day site, and you will see their discount. It's usually the cheapest price around. I use EQ7 all the time and wouldn't be without it.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:56 PM

I have EQ7 and rarely use it. I'm not much of a designer......and apparently not much of a computer whiz as I feel like I'm starting over each time.
It sounds like you are creative and computer literate so I'm sure you will succeed in which ever program you choose.
Old 12-11-2016, 03:27 AM

I love EQ7
Old 12-11-2016, 04:17 AM

I have never owned the EQ7, but have thought about it. You have to scan your fabrics into the program? So you have to own a printer/scanner...is this correct? I only have the printer.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:21 AM

I have EQ7 and am struggling with the learning curve. Each time I start with the basic lessons and I think eventually it will come. I'm a little computer challenged. It seems like the program does a lot, but then the company wants to sell you more books to use with it and I don't understand why I would need that book. There is someone on this board that is very helpful. I asked a question and she explained it and it worked. My problem was that I knew the name of the pattern in question but could not find it. It was there, but listed under a category I was not using. Marcia
Old 12-11-2016, 05:24 AM

lindaschipper and others, you do not have to scan in fabrics to use EQ7. There are tons of fabrics that come with the software and each month electric quilt offers free downloads of fabric from various designers or themes. Of course, you can go to some of the fabric company sites and see if they offer free downloads as well. There are great tutorials with EQ and lots of information on the electric quilt site.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:09 AM

If you purchase different fabrics, you do have to scan. I'm not partial to any fabric house, in fact, I just buy the color and design I want and don't care who made it if it's good fabric. So I have oddballs that don't show since they are not in the top of the design list or color of the year. I pick what I like from a store or stores.

It's easy enough to scan. Some software for scanning now includes your cell phone.

I can get annoyed with EQ 6 and 7. I can use Adobe Illustrator well enough to design what I want.
I'm familiar enough with Bezier curves and editing lines. What gets me is how it saves and editing layers.
Those are totally different. It also won't import SVG or AI files. These are both common vector files.
Inkscape (free) does SVG and Adobe does both.

Last edited by Weezy Rider; 12-11-2016 at 06:14 AM.