Quilting squares for practice >

Quilting squares for practice

Quilting squares for practice

Old 12-31-2015, 07:27 AM
Power Poster

How about using old sheets?

I have wondered about what to do with the practice pieces -
Old 12-31-2015, 07:38 AM

I haven't seen practice squares for sale anywhere either. But in reference to FMQ--I began by using Leah Day's Quilt Along for beginners.

http://www.freemotionquilting.blogsp...ts-wiggle.html

She takes you step-by-step and includes videos covering every new technique--AT NO CHARGE! She loves teaching and you can tell. I learned so much in so little time. But of course practice, practice, practice is required. She suggests that you practice every day. I haven't accomplished that, but I do try to keep sandwiches ready and one machine set up so it's easy to just walk into my studio and start. I have used sandwiche squares from 13" - 21". At first I used a LITTLE adhesive spray to baste them and then four pins. Now when using decent batting I don't even have to pin them at all. I only began quilting 2-3 years ago.

At first I used cheap muslin from Joanne's ON SALE or with a 50% coupon. Those quilted squares ended up getting sewn together for shelter animal mats. Once my stitching got to the point of not causing me embarrassment, I started using 13 1/2" squares of remnants or sale/coupon fabric. (You'll have enough fabric for 3 sandwiches from a 28" length of fabric 42" wide.) I am going to assemble my quilt squares using the "quilt-as-you-go" technique to make unique quilts. Leah also shows you how to do this in the Quilt Along. I think you'll like her teaching method and designs. She has really made a name for herself in the quilting world in a short amount of time. Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:44 AM

I hit it lucky years ago. I was able to find a bag of partially quilted pieces at Goodwill. It must have been defective for it's purpose and was in very large chunks. I use them all the time, cut off some and begin sewing to try out new patterns of stitching or even to make sure I have all settings correct on my machine.

This appeared to have been meant for a bedspread by some company since the quilting lines, all just straight lines and very far apart, making it easy to practice on.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:26 AM

I am still practicing FMQ. But I was tired of throwing my efforts out. Now I cut fabric just large enough for a placemat. I FMQ, then bind it. Now I have enough for Meals on Wheels!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:00 AM

Some save the practice pieces as a reference. I've quilted fat quarters and used them to make zipper pouches. You can get two pouches from one fat quarter. Even some of my less than successful FMQ attempts made pretty nice looking pouches. I use a thread that blends so the quilting isn't that noticeable.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:05 AM

I checked with one on the local rescue groups about sizes needed for the cats and dogs and made practice pieces in those sizes. I layer the fabrics and batting, sew around 3 sides and then practice my fm quilting. When I have "used up" a piece, I then sew the end together and have a mat that the shelter can use. They said they really love getting them and can easily throw them in the washing machine when needed.

This way I feel I am not only improving my skills but helping out fur babies!
Old 12-31-2015, 10:10 AM

I use felt brought by the yard -- it's less expensive that way. First practice just on the one layer; when it's "used up" pin a piece of "unwanted" or scrap material (clothing too worn out to contribute to charity stores would work, or old pillow cases, table cloths, etc.) pin that to your used up felt piece, then do it again. I like cutting the felt in about 24 x 24" so it can be moved easily without being so small it needs to be replaced too often. It's a bit thinner than a quilt sandwich so be sure to "move up a step" before you start on your project. There's always a piece right next to my sewing area to do a quick practice before I start quilting on my project.

Another trick --make a couple of color copies on your printer of the top you will be quilting. Pinned to your used up practice felt, stitch through the copy to test out your pattern with various threads to see what your finished project will look like. Then throw the whole thing out! You've now practiced what you will be doing and getting the look you will have.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:26 AM

what a great idea, Barbpr
Old 12-31-2015, 10:28 AM

Another good idea, Hulalulu.
Old 12-31-2015, 10:34 AM

Some time ago I purchased a free motion practice piece from Connecting threads. It had sections that you could use to practice S's and C's and an intro to feathers. I just sandwiched it with an old pillowcase that I unsewed so it was the same size. I bet they still carry it