Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts made from our stash >

Quilts made from our stash

Quilts made from our stash

Old 12-30-2015, 05:16 PM

Default Quilts made from our stash

I want to stop calling our quilts "scrappy". I love quilts with many different fabrics and I have lots of lengths of fabric with a missing corner. Those pieces were anywhere from 9 to 14 dollars a yard. These are not scraps and people that don't quilt think our quilts are of little value. We need to help others understand quilting is an art form. We need to stop selling ourselves short.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:29 PM

When I see that a quilt is "scrappy" I do not see that it is cheap or of a poor quality - I see it as a quilt made up of lots and lots of gorgeous fabrics put together with love.

These days manufacturers also put out "lines" of fabric which would in my opinion would not come under the banner of scrappy - therefore a definition is also made.

That is just my thoughts on a scrappy quilt or one made from my stash - which BTW are my favourite type of quilt.

Last edited by busy fingers; 12-30-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:36 PM

Scrappy or frugal. My grandmothers used all fabric that was available, 1 in or 5 it did not matter. Hence, scrappy. I like to call it my quilt of many colors like Dolly Parton's Coat of Many Colors.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:29 PM
RST

In today's vernacular, scrappy does not suggest cheap or made of scraps -- just the use of many varied fabrics. A scrappy quilt would be something of the opposite of a planned placement design. Almost everything I make is scrappy, because that's the look and way of working I like. I never obsess over exact matches or yardage requirements. If I want to use some yellow, I will use 12 different yellows of similar value and hue. And 25 ddifferent whites. That's a scrappy approach.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM

I like to say I use bit and pieces of fabric to make my quilts and I love getting fabric from people who just don't know what to do with the little stuff.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:41 PM

I don't think "scrappy" is a devaluing term at all. In fact, in many ways, it takes a better eye for color and scale to choose "scraps" or "pieces from one's stash" and make the values and patterns play well together. Using scraps, in my opinion, whether they cost $14 or $2 a yard, is not why non-quilters may not understand the value of our work. It's the fact that they don't quilt.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by RST View Post
In today's vernacular, scrappy does not suggest cheap or made of scraps -- just the use of many varied fabrics. A scrappy quilt would be something of the opposite of a planned placement design. Almost everything I make is scrappy, because that's the look and way of working I like. I never obsess over exact matches or yardage requirements. If I want to use some yellow, I will use 12 different yellows of similar value and hue. And 25 ddifferent whites. That's a scrappy approach.
I have to agree with RST. Making a scrappy is a creative way of using what we have.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:21 PM

I hope I'm not misinterpreting luvstoquilt's point-it's the feeling or concern I think many Quilters have- how those who don't quilt view our art. Most people don't paint, sculpt or blow glass, but readily consider anyone who does an "artist". I think the struggle for our art form to be truly accepted as art stems from the fact that it was a needed household skill that has evolved, and many don't really get that. If it's hanging or displayed in a gallery, museum or even a public building-well of course that's art, but not necessarily the quilting family members, friends or coworkers do. Getting back to luvstoquilt's post, I think concern that the term "scrappy" isn't helping to change how the world views what we do is the point, and perhaps a new descriptive adjective or phrase is needed. I'm just not sure how to accomplish that! Let's see, what about "multi-faceted quilts"?
Old 12-30-2015, 08:35 PM
RST

I don't think the term scrappy is the root cause for some people undervaluing quilts. Some people will never consider a handmade quilt any more valuable than the $19.99 comforter made in china available at Walmart. They just never will. Other people like quilts and recognize that they are an art form.

I, as a quilter, am happiest when I don't spend any time thinking about what other people think of my work. I doubt I can change people's opinions, so I just make what I like and make at least one person happy-- myself.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:11 AM

I think "scrappy" is just a term for what type the quilt is. It really doesn't downgrade the quilt's quality at all. The only way a quilt is downgraded is wether the stitching is sloppy or not. I do my best to do good quality stitches in my quilts. I just can't seem to get rid of the birdnests sometimes I see. Otherwise, the word scrappy is a good word.