Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting squares for practice >

Quilting squares for practice

Quilting squares for practice

Old 12-31-2015, 11:02 AM

I just buy some muslin it is usually cheaper than regular fabric to do my practice on or check out my stitch quality and I usually have pieces of batting left over.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:56 PM
Power Poster

There is no such thing as a dumb question. I too, am not very good at FMQ and have been reluctant to start, although I've been quilting for some time. Paper Princess commented that she was told to use old mattress pads for practice, and I think that's a good idea and I might try it. When I was first learning to quilt, but I'm not recommending this, I took a cheater panel, added backing and in between used 2 layers of an old mattress pad and at least one layer of batting. My old Sears Kenmore always loved sewing on heavier fabrics, so she sailed through this one. My daughter loved it as she would take it outside to play and no sticks or rocks stuck up through it. I haven't done that since though, I stick to one layer of batting in a quilt. LOL.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by barny View Post
I have a long arm and I'm going to put a 3 or 4 foot strip of backing, batting and muslin on it on one end, and put my quilt top, batting and backing on the arm. That way i can practice a little and move over to the quilt and work. Don't know if that will work or not. LOL
I use the left over backing/bat from quilts in long strips on my long arm. But because they get tangled up in the side clamp straps, I've found that if I use the PVC pipe cut into clamps on them, I can snap them on/off easily and leave the quilt loaded and untouched.
Old 01-01-2016, 04:40 AM

Some quilt stores carry a product called Skill Mastery that is pre printed fabric to use for learning to FMQ. It was not very expensive and I found it to be helpful. It came with a CD of lots of quilting motifs that can be printed and drawn onto fabric. I admit, it is like training wheels; but I also admit that I need all the help I can get. Lots of practice is important. I like the helps that Lori Kennedy gives on her blog site and in the magazine from AQS. She also has a Craftsy class.
Old 01-01-2016, 10:49 AM

Sometimes I make a quilt that I'm not really really in love with. Since it's just for me, I'm learning FMQ on them. Hate to do all that work, no matter how clutsy it looks, to waste.
Old 01-01-2016, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by quiltylori View Post
This may be a dumb question but does anyone know of any place that sells pre-made sandwiched squares for practicing quilting? I know I could make my own, but I just thought maybe some place uses material that is flawed to make up some practice quilting squares. Also, what is the best way to learn free motion? I am making that my goal for the new year!! Thanks!!
I have made a stack of 12.5" "sandwiches in different solid colors that play well together, and when I get enough done, I will trim them to 12", and then I am going to QAG them into a serviceable/picnic quilt to show my progress. I just can't throw fabric away unless it is destroyed.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:46 PM

Lots of cheater print of quilts. After being quilted they can be bounded and given to many groups.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:50 PM

Benartex prints a wide backing printed with a continuous line design. The printing is a wash out ink. Available in white and natural. The design is Meandering Feather. Great for practice
Old 01-01-2016, 07:03 PM
Power Poster

good for you, I think I should try this too. i'd use cheap muslin the .99/yd stuff
Old 01-01-2016, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
When I first got my long arm, someone suggested using mattress pads. Check thrift stores, immediately wash in hot water & cut them up. You can add a piece of fabric on the top, or just go to town. Also, you can reuse. After quilting practice, just put another piece of fabric on top and requilt. It's best if you use a different color thread the second time so you can easily check the tension on the back.
Loosen the tension a bit extra for mattress pads since they have more loft and body to them. Nice idea though, I use them for larger wall hangings because they don't 'slump' from washing. Old ones are my choice so no washing surprises.