Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Quite honestly a matter of tact...

bj
    Something I remember being told as a young teacher was that for every negative thing you say to a child, it takes 10 good things to balance it. I've had kids come back to visit me and tell me they always appreciated that I did put them or their work down and that we laughed a lot in my class. I still try not to put anything someone does down and I still try to laugh as much as possible. Praise and humor go a long way!

"if I post something i know is hideous ...", yeah right Patrice, you? That'll be the day...

Honestly, have you ever really done something truly "hideous"? I find that hard to believe.

BJ - I agree. My favorite, when my only child was growing up was:

Fill your child's cup so full that when others poke holes in it, it never goes empty.

He is a wonderful young man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    "if I post something i know is hideous ...", yeah right Patrice, you? That'll be the day...

Honestly, have you ever really done something truly "hideous"? I find that hard to believe.
    let's put it this way ... the local landfill never gets cold. it's got more than one of PatriceJ's Originals to keep it warm.

i made one some years ago that i thought was just beautiful. simple and basic, but very pretty. when i took it out of the washer, i had a simple, basic and very pretty wad of patches and threads. stupid thing all but disintegrated! :shock:

the funniest thing, though, is that the absolute ugliest and most poorly constructed quilt i've ever made never made it to the landfill. somebody saw it and insisted i let her buy it from me. my worst quilt was my first sale. go figure. :lol:

"go figure." I've ceased trying!

Do you ever recycle the ugly children? Leslee made me a neat pin cushion out of one.

Lahk everyone says. I am my own best critic. You can't tell me anything I don't already know about my quilt. And I only give quilts to kids under 13 who know if they complain I have the power to send them to bed without supper. I can't imagine someone not loving my quilts, my taste being what it is, but if it were to happen, I would take the critique from who it's given. One or two of you know you could devastate me with harmful negative comments, but I won't tell you who you are...

As far as what I might say to that orange, pale green and PINK monstrosity someone shows me.... If I say.. "It sure looks warm" or "It sure looks handy for changing the car's oil", you might get the idea I am being polite.

I do enjoy seeing all your works. Bad comments will never come out of me because then you might stop showing and then where would I be? If there is something that truly jars me, I just suspect I don't understand it, kinda like a Magritte painting.

tim in san jose

As the old saying goes "One man's trash is another man's treasure!" I'm sure that goes for quilts too, Patrice! :D

Honest Tim, pink really is in the rainbow (color spectrum) if you look hard enough. HA! Never met a color that I didn't love in one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Honest Tim, pink really is in the rainbow (color spectrum) if you look hard enough. HA! Never met a color that I didn't love in one way or another.
    And green peas go on top of Shepard's Pie. Don't mean I don't pick each and every little green bugger out before I eat my dinner.

PINK... BAH!

tim in san jose

You guys crack me up! No pink? No peas? What is left?!!

And every landfill needs a quilt or two. That cotton helps with rotting. I think Gore says that in his movie. Think of the environment folks!

Send me your rejects and I'll make sure they have a place! LOL!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast