Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quiting thread that stands out and shows up. >

Quiting thread that stands out and shows up.

Quiting thread that stands out and shows up.

Old 01-10-2017, 09:06 AM
Power Poster

Default Quiting thread that stands out and shows up.

Most of the time I use 50/3 thread for quilting and decide on color/contrast whether I want it to show or not. I also have some 40wt thread so I am familiar with it. Now I want to add a very showy feather design on a wall hanging. I'd prefer not to stitch over and over again - rather I'd prefer a thick line to start.

What weight do you use for thick lines and can you recommend a brand? Or do you build up to the desired thickness by quilting over the same lines again?

I am venturing into uncharted territory.......
Old 01-10-2017, 09:35 AM
Power Poster

For a thicker line, I usually use 40 weight, however, I normally use 70 weight, so there's a bigger difference for me. I choose my quilting pattern carefully because I don't like the look of a lot of backtracking with the heavier threads. I don't know if I actually split the previously quilted thread when I lay down a new line of thread or what, but it looks messy to me. I try an use a quilting design with not a lot of backtracking. When I use the heavier thread, I often use the same color in the bobbin, but my normal 60-70 weight. I'll have to look up the brands...
I think you will have to experiment a bit.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:58 AM

I've used Sulky 12 wt with a Jeans needle size 18 on my Juki. It worked very well. But it's better to do a quilting design with no backtracking involved when you're using such a heavy thread.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:00 AM

I have a friend who used King Tut (Superior) on a quilt, and quilted the pattern twice to make it stand out. It definitely did, it was beautiful!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Power Poster

Wonderfil thread also makes a 12 wt you can run through your machine called Spaghetti.

another option to get your showy bit to stand out is to do trapunto and heavy backfill which results in your motif popping up in relief. I am currently working on a project that does just that and the resulting motif really pops. Edited to add, the backfil is done in a highly contrasting metallic so that also adds to the effect.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post

another option to get your showy bit to stand out is to do trapunto and heavy backfill which results in your motif popping up in relief. I am currently working on a project that does just that and the resulting motif really pops. Edited to add, the backfil is done in a highly contrasting metallic so that also adds to the effect.
Ooooh can you post a pic? Inquiring minds would love to see!
Old 01-10-2017, 10:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Ooooh can you post a pic? Inquiring minds would love to see!
I can once I get home. I don't have the picture loaded on the computer I am on right now.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

Sulky 12 weight! Wonderful color selection and nice to use
Old 01-10-2017, 12:28 PM

40wt would work. Have you thought of using 2 threads at one time, possibly making one a metallic thread? You'd need a large eyed needle for 2 threads but its doable. Getting ready to try it out myself. I picked up size 21 needles at the quilt show just for this purpose. I use embroidery metallic thread 40wt with no problems or thread breaks.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 PM
Power Poster

OK, I'll go with the Sulky - those colors are simply luscious. Thanks for the pointers. Snooze2978 I am not ready to venture into the 2-thread arena. I will be happy to just work with a single strand of the thick thread. Will keep that suggestion in mind though. Good luck with the metallic thread - I hear it's tough to work with.