Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Raffle Quilt Question >

Raffle Quilt Question

Raffle Quilt Question

Old 10-21-2016, 06:39 AM

I agree with the idea of a patriotic themed quilt.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:54 AM

you know I have been making quilts for my church's raffle for a few years now... I never really thought that what I made could influence the sale of tickets.... hhmmm.... gives me something to think about. I was just donating to the church not thinking about driving ticket sales... hhmm
Old 10-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Power Poster

ir depends on the charity, I made one for an animal shelter. I made a "funky" cat and dog quilt. It was appliqued. dogs and cats and a mouse here and there. Everyone loved it.

Other than that. I'd go for a white cream or black background. Most people don't know what goes into a quilt and wherater it's inticate. I make my cousins a jelly roll quilt and they carried on abut how i made it so neat, and all the rows added up!! If they only knew. I made them yoyo pillows with pearls in the center. They were even more flabbergasted about the neatness, and how did I get them all attached. So you see, what we know, they don't know. All they see is pretty. So i'd go with a soft color scheme. Years back it was blue and brown, or pink and greys in the 80's. Maybe take a quick survey on the colors, of go by the color of the year. Please show us what you do.
Old 10-21-2016, 07:57 AM
Power Poster

I read once that blue and yellow quilts were very popular. However... I think it depends a lot on where you intend to sell tickets. If you're mostly selling them at quilt shows, then the purchasers are mostly other quilters. I think that they respond best to more complicated piecing or applique. If you're selling tickets more to the general public, then the quilt can be simpler and the colors will probably matter more. The idea of using team colors is genius in this case.
Old 10-21-2016, 08:44 AM
Power Poster

Some other considerations ..........
* some people ARE ticket sellers!
They have that natural enthusiasm about doing so and will ask anyone and everyone at anytime and everywhere to buy a ticket, or even tickets! Whereas some, will never take their tickets our of their pockets to sell or if selling the tickets at a booth, will sit there with their heads down, avoid eye contact, never say boo .... and then say, no one buys tickets!

* some people ARE ticket buyers!
For some, it doesn't matter what the raffle is for, they will buy. Some will buy one. Some will always buy the 3 for price. Some are affected by the individual price of the tickets, and buy or will not buy accordingly.

There are so many variables, that choosing the colour of a quilt, is not the overall deciding factor towards a successful (or not successful) raffle.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The guild learned a lesson a few years ago. The quild had an elaborate hand appliqued hand quilted quilt that took a year to finish for a raffle quilt. Another sew group made a fast to make big block quilt that featured the state's college football fabric. That group sold triple the tickets for that quilt then the guild did. Don't put a lot of work in a raffle quilt. Bright colors and a popular theme sells best.
I agree. If you are selling to the general public or even a large group of quilters, color and first impact are going to make a better response than a difficult technique. I also agree with the selling aspect. I used to sell 50/50 tickets for our car club at the car shows. I sold tons. I quickly realized that if I walked up to a group of men and got one to buy, they would all buy. I also used to take my little dog with me and he would walk up to everyone and make and friends and then I would ask if they wanted to buy tickets. It makes a lot of difference if the people selling really try to sell a lot.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Thanks for some great ideas and information. I'll let you know what the committee decides.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:23 PM

You're in Wichita Falls, TX, correct? Air Force base close by. Texas in general is patriotic, and "everything is bigger" there. I'm thinking a big block quilt in patriotic colors would do well. Maybe something with all branches of the military in the fabrics?
Old 10-21-2016, 05:21 PM

I make a quilt every year that raises money to support a local autism group, (my son attended one of their schools). Thank you for some great ideas.
Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 PM

QuiltnNan - your quilt is absolutely delicious. I love Judy Niemeyer patterns. My small guild (27 members) gave away a beautiful hand appliqué quilt last December - Baltimore Christmas. We sold more than 3 times the number of tickets we've ever sold and lots to first-time ticket buyers. My other guild (118 members) has done a combined pieced and appliqué quilt for the last several quilt shows and tickets sold very well. My small guild did a very basic quilt (log cabin with colors not to my personal liking) several quilt, hows ago and tickets did not sell well.

I buy buy lots of tickets - from guilds wherever I travel and have only not purchased one - it was nothing spectacular and kind of something that any beginner could make. I firmly believe people will buy tickets for a quilt that is a standout.

Sandy in Mooresville, NC