Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: rag quilt question

rag quilt question

Can you mix types of fabrics such as flannel and regular cotton for a rag quilt ? And what kind of batting does one use?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    I made one with green cotton fabric and red print corduroy. turned out great. i used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting.

I have used poly, and suede of all kinds, crushed velvet I have even used lace over a color I wanted to tone down a bit.. You can put anything in the middle you want, no one will ever see it. If you want to save some cash, used flannel is perfect.
    I love to quilt.

I make them with flannel on both sides, no batting (although sometimes I use 3 layers of flannel), and often mix in some corduroy.

I've mixed regular cotton and flannels with no problems. I use my regular batt that I've saved odds and ends of in the middle. That way, no waste of those little pieces.

I use flannel, or homespun fabrics, with warm and natural in the middle
    Dyan

Great question! I had been wondering the same thing.

Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....
    If I use just flannel I use flannel front and back with nothing in the middle. If I combine flannel and cotton I use a layer of flannel in the middle as well. Don't use batting.
    Myrna

They say money does not buy happiness, but it buys fabric & fabric makes me happy!!

i mix regular cottons & flannel for rag quilts all the time- since i make square sandwiches i use what ever batting scraps i have- put the 3 layers together- quilt an X across each one then join into rows- then into a quilt- works out great every time
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I made one for my son that had a hunting/fishing theme to it. I mixed cotton and flannel on the top and used leftover flannel from when I made flannel shirts for the back. I used fleece in between the layers. That thing is WARM! He and his wife love it. They are penny pinching college students again and keep their heat low to save money.

He gets that penny pinching honestly. I have saved all of the corners from those tied fleece blankets that everyone made for year. Those are what I used as my "batting".

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast