Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt Thickness >

Rag Quilt Thickness

Rag Quilt Thickness

Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM

I like to do three layers of flannel. I usually if having a colored top use white as the middle layer and make it the same size it makes your ragging much nicer and have more of a pop with three colors. I watch used stores and get good quality white flannel sheets there all the time and use that as my middle layer I just wash it well and then cut it up and layer it in my pieces. Warm and snuggly everyone that has got one loves it.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:44 AM

Over here "across the sea" I used batting between my flannel top and bottoms for my rag quilts. They did turn out rather weighty but also very snuggly and warm and they are the definate "go to" when my grandchildren want a snuggle and a story read or are just feeling poorly and want to hibernate on the couch. They adore them. I agree with the other posters, if you are using flannel in the middle I would cut it the same size as the outer squares and include it in the ragging and also use a contrast colour to add interest. My flannel tops and bottoms were screamingly different in colours and when they were ragged, washed and tumbled dried the resulting splashes of colours is very effective.