Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: re: rag quilts

a friend of mine is making a rag quilt and she says that she isn't going to clip it when she is finished. she is just going to wash it and let it fray when being washed. has anyone made it this way before? my opion i don't think it would look as nice as a clipped rag quilt.

jeanette

i think i'm with you. haven't seen one that hasn't been clipped. did she get the idea from a pattern, or is it just too much trouble :?:

I have made several rag quilts and I agree with you I don't think that it would look very good if it was not clipped.

lin
    I've never seen one that wasn't clipped either, but can't imagine it ragging as well as the ones that are clipped. It's hard on the hands to clip it all, but worth it in the long run, and not so bad if you take it a little at a time with breaks inbetween rows.

Can someone explain what clipping a rag quilt is?? Thank you, Kyia.

Blog Entries
    offer to help your friend do the clipping. you each start at one end and work toward the middle. first one to the middle gets the last brownie. :P :lol:

Kyiav when you make a rag quilt you sew the seams with a large seam allowance then you go in a cut those seams every 1/2 or so almost down to the seam line so that after washing your quilt will rag out. Here is a pic of one that I did. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Y ou would have exposed seams and long threads hooked on sides, these would tangle with each other and the quilt would wad it self till you clipped them. I only forgot one row on a rag quilt and it was a mess :cry:

I make rag quilts all the time and I always clip them as I go, as I sew the squares together, I clip, and as I sew rows together, I clip them as I go. Not nearly as hard on your hands that way.