Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Re-Washing Fabric...

  1. #1
    Senior Member emlee51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    671

    Re-Washing Fabric...

    I would like to reorganize my stash cupboard...can I re-wash my fabrics to be able to arrange them better in my cupboard? I've ironed the majority of them the first time...some with sizing, some without. Would it be better if I just folded them with no ironing, and iron only when I use the fabric? What are your thoughts on this?

    Also, I just finished going through the 132 pages of The Scrappy Quilt Show from the thread started by Grammy Dwynn...thank you, Grammy for starting this!!! Can I add my pictures to the thread, or can we start a new one?

    Thanks for all your help. The help I get from the gracious people on this board sure has helped improve my quilting adventure, and the inspiration is endless!!

  2. #2
    Super Member Neesie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    5,184
    I wash/dry mine, then fold and store. I never iron, until I'm ready to use them, as I can't see the point in having to iron them, twice.

  3. #3
    Super Member DebraK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    8,516
    I only iron when I'm ready to cut.

  4. #4
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Bosque County, Texas
    Posts
    3,040
    If they haven't become soiled then why are you thinking there will be value in rewashing them? Just refold.

  5. #5
    Power Poster QuiltE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,800
    I too am not sure why you are wanting to wash the fabric ... but if you want to, go ahead ... After all, if it's not washable, now there's a problem!!!

    I wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in the house, and check that it is colour fast, or treat it as needed. That way I know it's ready to go when the time comes. As for ironing, that waits until it's needed, so that it's freshly pressed. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be re-doing it then as well.

    As for your query re starting a new scrappy thread? .... why? why not continue on with the same Scrappy Showcase?

    And all this, is JIMHO!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

  6. #6
    Senior Member emlee51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
    I too am not sure why you are wanting to wash the fabric ... but if you want to, go ahead ... After all, if it's not washable, now there's a problem!!!

    I wash all my fabric as soon as it comes in the house, and check that it is colour fast, or treat it as needed. That way I know it's ready to go when the time comes. As for ironing, that waits until it's needed, so that it's freshly pressed. Otherwise, I'm sure I'd be re-doing it then as well.

    As for your query re starting a new scrappy thread? .... why? why not continue on with the same Scrappy Showcase?

    And all this, is JIMHO!!!!
    Some of the fabric has been in the cupboard for years, and the fold lines are pretty permanent...that is why I asked. I thought about adding that after I posted!! Sometimes it's pretty hard to re-fold all those old lines!

  7. #7
    Super Member ckcowl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    9,349
    you can wash your fabric as often as you want- it is yours----no one will have any idea if you washed it once or a dozen times...as for the ironing---if it comes out very wrinkled and you feel like it- iron it before refolding- if you can smooth it nicely (enough) to fold you can wait until you are going to use it- if you choose to iron first i would avoid sizing or starch if it is just going to be stored on shelves for more years---if you need - something- to help with the ironing-a spritz of water is generally enough.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

  8. #8
    Super Member DogHouseMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Grundy Co Illinois
    Posts
    5,219
    Quote Originally Posted by emlee51 View Post
    Some of the fabric has been in the cupboard for years, and the fold lines are pretty permanent...that is why I asked. I thought about adding that after I posted!! Sometimes it's pretty hard to re-fold all those old lines!
    I agree, wash it again and freshen it up and get rid of the old crease lines. Then just fold and store. I never iron until I'm ready to cut.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

    Sue

  9. #9
    Senior Member pinecone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    811
    To save on water would it work to just rinse it? I always iron it so I can grab and cut. I too favor leaving the starch/sizing out, it might be too tempting for critters.

    piney

  10. #10
    Senior Member emlee51's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    671
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    I agree, wash it again and freshen it up and get rid of the old crease lines. Then just fold and store. I never iron until I'm ready to cut.
    Yes, I think I'll wash some of it...and leave the sizing out. Thanks, ckcowl, I, too, think know one will know if I wash it again. And I won't iron it either. I was just a newbie when I did all the ironing and sizing...that was 8 years ago so you know how old some of the fabric is! Thanks for all your comments and help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.