Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ready Made Acrylic Templates (How to use?) >

Ready Made Acrylic Templates (How to use?)

Ready Made Acrylic Templates (How to use?)

Old 01-05-2010, 06:31 PM
Power Poster

Give me a bit and I will show the super 60, it is a triang;le ruler that has a 60 degree angle on it, though you can use the 60 degree line on your ruler as well, this is simple, you can make the blocks any size and they will all work out, the other end of the ruler is the opposite angle that if you use it you can make the missing edge piece to fill in to make it square. as a whole top. one use is the OBW

(one block wonder,)http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25853-1.htm

this is an example of the OBW. I did it this summer, they are a lot of fun to do and really easy, if you cut the pieces big enough they are really fast as well, I did a different one as well in the summer and the blocks size was about 2 in No I don't recommend being like me,

That isn't the first project that I saw with that particular ruler, though I never did get a pattern for it, I remember enough I am sure to do it, I will see what I can come up with in the next couple of days, If I take too long nudge me, hard if you have to, I am a little flaky at times and tend to get lost.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 AM

Well, still waiting for more input. I did find a better picture of my experiment with the Easy Dresden template...
Attached Thumbnails attachment-66543.jpe   attachment-66618.jpe  
Old 01-11-2010, 12:26 PM

The front looks good, but the back is sagging, eh?
by any chance, did you put the binding on before you quilted it?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:28 PM

Sometimes, if I don't baste something before quilting it or binding it, the results will look similar to your effort. When I baste it before quilting, I have to make sure that the front and the back are really smooth. I have done it successfully while it was spread out on a bed, but I don't recommend it <g>.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by omak
The front looks good, but the back is sagging, eh?
by any chance, did you put the binding on before you quilted it?
Sagging wasn't the word for what happened. When I tried to simply quilt down the center of the front, it became a bunched up mess as I had the stitch length and width all wrong. It looked like a dot matrix printer ate the fabric. Instead of trying to rip it out and risk destroying the dresdens and ripping through the fabric, I let it stand as is. No, I bind my quilts last thing (or sometimes the tag goes on last!) as a general rule. I have a quilt here now that just needs bound- it's quilted and all but can't find the right fabric to do it.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:48 PM

Sometimes, if I don't baste something before quilting it or binding it, the results will look similar to your effort. When I baste it before quilting, I have to make sure that the front and the back are really smooth. I have done it successfully while it was spread out on a bed, but I don't recommend it <g>.
I don't sew baste mine. I tried the spray stuff once- what a horrid mistake- in fact, I think it may have been this one. I like to safety pin baste. I work on ym dining room table- although I did acquire my own place up in our smallest bedroom but the hubby took over most of it with the winemaking supplies. :P
Old 01-11-2010, 04:47 PM

I safety pin baste, also ... you were quilting with straight lines, yes?
Have you tried a walking foot?
I think this discussion started with using templates. Your dresdan plates look like you used the template just right!
Sometimes, when you get a new template? They send a pattern with it so you can practice making something using that ruler.
You might want to try that. If you have enough templates, or you want to practice something a number of times, I would do that with the idea that I would be making some kind of sampler. Even if you don't make every practice piece with the same colors, with a sashing between each other, you will have a very attractive piece.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:21 AM

I safety pin baste, also ... you were quilting with straight lines, yes?
Have you tried a walking foot?
I
Yep, I have 2 different walking foots. Has anyone else made anything with the templates I've mentioned? If so, can you share your results?

I'd like to start my daughter's quilt, but rumor has it the neighbor is very pregnant so maybe I can psyche myself up and snap out a nice baby quilt within the next month.

:-D :idea: :idea: :XD:
Old 01-12-2010, 10:08 PM

I wish I could be of more assistance :oops:
You selected some special rulers for interesting quilts, though, so I will wish you good progress ...
when you do a search online for the rulers, what sort of results do you get?
(just thinking with my fingers, here <g>) <wave>
Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM

Ok, ladies. It's been a while & I have since acquired a few more of those lovely ready made templates. The Easy Windmill Template was my latest find on clearance at JoAnn's for like $2.00.

I took some of you all's advice and just kept making stuff out of them so I now have shades of blue octagons that look like a Grandmother's Flower block, only much bigger. This whole Easy Windmill- what a snap, just seems like they're off kilter though or maybe that's the intent.

Went to a FabShopHop Quilt shop in Boardman, OH- the Bernina Store? and was amazed at what I found. I bought a few paper patterns- one of them being "Modern Diamonds" and I pulled it out yesterday to see if I could make my own template with the paper pieces- holy cow! Those diamonds are HUGE! May need to rethink that one......