Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ready Made Acrylic Templates (How to use?)

This is my first topic post so please 4give me if it's redundant. My problem right now is trying to use all of these wonderful pre made plastic templates. I have the entire set of squares, the tri-recs set, the hexagon, the Companion Angle, the Easy Dresden, the Spinning Star, the Easy Scallop, the Easy Eight, the X Block, the 60 degree diamond, and the most boggling to me has been the Simply Crazy by EZ quilting.
    Am I the only one out there who can't seem to get the instructions down pat from 3 paragraphs of "how to" on the back of the package?
    :?

Roses All Around- almost finished!
    Name:  Attachment-62883.jpe
Views: 145
Size:  57.1 KB

Blog Entries
    Some of the templates instructions do seem to be lacking :roll:
    I think the books that they are made for have much better descriptions...and they want you to buy them :wink: and that is why the the instructions are so sparse....

Are these templates for your hand stitching, or for cutting fabric? I have some that I have made myself, and I use them to draw the chalk line for stitching.

The directions are usually to go a long with books, though if you ask how to use one specific one here then I imagine that you will get quiet a response, I know how to use the super 60, I have it and it is great for the One Block wonder and a other things, it makes up into a hexagon really well,

The commercial ones are for cutting, I believe. The ones I have made from Plexi-glass have been both for cutting the fabric and sewing. (I did a miniature Attic Windows template- what a breeze!)

What books? If someone can tell me where to start looking for them, that would be great. I mostly bought these either online or at JoAnn's. (Gotta love those 40% reg. price merchandise coupons! ;-) )

First of all, your quilt is wonderful. Great job. Second, I'm with you. I have to experiment with the templates til I figure it out. The directions stink.

Quote Originally Posted by cutebuns
    The directions are usually to go a long with books, though if you ask how to use one specific one here then I imagine that you will get quiet a response, I know how to use the super 60, I have it and it is great for the One Block wonder and a other things, it makes up into a hexagon really well,
    The super 60??? Do tell, please!

Lizards! Lizards! (quilt I made for my middle son)
    Name:  Attachment-63093.jpe
Views: 133
Size:  189.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    First of all, your quilt is wonderful. Great job. Second, I'm with you. I have to experiment with the templates til I figure it out. The directions stink.
    Well, thank goodness I know now that it isn't just me. We went on vacation to Smith island/ Tylerton in June- I had 3 quilting people who were staying in the same B&B we were and one was a quilting teacher from Maryland. She couldn't even figure out the Simply Crazy template.

:shock: I think I have figured out the hexagons- I found a tutorial on here that was great. I do ok with the diamond. It makes a great isocolies (forgive- I know it's misspelled) triangle that's a great size. My husband helped me experiment with the X blocks one when I first got it, almost 2 years ago! I did a baby dresden- I'll have to see if I can find the pics of that one.

P.S. Thanks for the compliment. These are my early days quilts as you can tell with the uncreative use of squares. :lol:

Baby Dresden in progress- finished and delivered first week of October 2008!
    Name:  Attachment-63096.jpe
Views: 129
Size:  32.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Some of the templates instructions do seem to be lacking :roll:
    I think the books that they are made for have much better descriptions...and they want you to buy them :wink: and that is why the the instructions are so sparse....
    I agree.

Give me a bit and I will show the super 60, it is a triang;le ruler that has a 60 degree angle on it, though you can use the 60 degree line on your ruler as well, this is simple, you can make the blocks any size and they will all work out, the other end of the ruler is the opposite angle that if you use it you can make the missing edge piece to fill in to make it square. as a whole top. one use is the OBW

(one block wonder,)http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-25853-1.htm

this is an example of the OBW. I did it this summer, they are a lot of fun to do and really easy, if you cut the pieces big enough they are really fast as well, I did a different one as well in the summer and the blocks size was about 2 in No I don't recommend being like me,

That isn't the first project that I saw with that particular ruler, though I never did get a pattern for it, I remember enough I am sure to do it, I will see what I can come up with in the next couple of days, If I take too long nudge me, hard if you have to, I am a little flaky at times and tend to get lost.

Well, still waiting for more input. I did find a better picture of my experiment with the Easy Dresden template...
    Attached Images Attached Images

The front looks good, but the back is sagging, eh?
    by any chance, did you put the binding on before you quilted it?

Sometimes, if I don't baste something before quilting it or binding it, the results will look similar to your effort. When I baste it before quilting, I have to make sure that the front and the back are really smooth. I have done it successfully while it was spread out on a bed, but I don't recommend it .

Quote Originally Posted by omak
    The front looks good, but the back is sagging, eh?
    by any chance, did you put the binding on before you quilted it?
    Sagging wasn't the word for what happened. When I tried to simply quilt down the center of the front, it became a bunched up mess as I had the stitch length and width all wrong. It looked like a dot matrix printer ate the fabric. Instead of trying to rip it out and risk destroying the dresdens and ripping through the fabric, I let it stand as is. No, I bind my quilts last thing (or sometimes the tag goes on last!) as a general rule. I have a quilt here now that just needs bound- it's quilted and all but can't find the right fabric to do it.

Sometimes, if I don't baste something before quilting it or binding it, the results will look similar to your effort. When I baste it before quilting, I have to make sure that the front and the back are really smooth. I have done it successfully while it was spread out on a bed, but I don't recommend it .
    I don't sew baste mine. I tried the spray stuff once- what a horrid mistake- in fact, I think it may have been this one. I like to safety pin baste. I work on ym dining room table- although I did acquire my own place up in our smallest bedroom but the hubby took over most of it with the winemaking supplies. :P

I safety pin baste, also ... you were quilting with straight lines, yes?
    Have you tried a walking foot?
    I think this discussion started with using templates. Your dresdan plates look like you used the template just right!
    Sometimes, when you get a new template? They send a pattern with it so you can practice making something using that ruler.
    You might want to try that. If you have enough templates, or you want to practice something a number of times, I would do that with the idea that I would be making some kind of sampler. Even if you don't make every practice piece with the same colors, with a sashing between each other, you will have a very attractive piece.

I safety pin baste, also ... you were quilting with straight lines, yes?
    Have you tried a walking foot?
    I
    Yep, I have 2 different walking foots. Has anyone else made anything with the templates I've mentioned? If so, can you share your results?

I'd like to start my daughter's quilt, but rumor has it the neighbor is very pregnant so maybe I can psyche myself up and snap out a nice baby quilt within the next month.

:-D :idea: :idea: :XD:

I wish I could be of more assistance :oops:
    You selected some special rulers for interesting quilts, though, so I will wish you good progress ...
    when you do a search online for the rulers, what sort of results do you get?
    (just thinking with my fingers, here )

Ok, ladies. It's been a while & I have since acquired a few more of those lovely ready made templates. The Easy Windmill Template was my latest find on clearance at JoAnn's for like $2.00.

I took some of you all's advice and just kept making stuff out of them so I now have shades of blue octagons that look like a Grandmother's Flower block, only much bigger. This whole Easy Windmill- what a snap, just seems like they're off kilter though or maybe that's the intent.

Went to a FabShopHop Quilt shop in Boardman, OH- the Bernina Store? and was amazed at what I found. I bought a few paper patterns- one of them being "Modern Diamonds" and I pulled it out yesterday to see if I could make my own template with the paper pieces- holy cow! Those diamonds are HUGE! May need to rethink that one......

Blog Entries
    An idea is to look and see if there is a quilters name associated with the templates, like Marti Mitchell. Then look and see if they have any books out using these templates :wink:
    Or you can do a intenet search on the individual template, sometimes a video will pop up, maybe a quilt made out of them, or even a tutorial on a pattern :D:D:D

Thanks for the suggestion. I am having a bad brain day so will wait for another time to concentrate and search like you suggested. The whole Simply Crazy thing has got me still- stumped. To the Quilting Friends I made last year at Smith Island at the Inn of Silent Music- I haven't forgotten any of ya!!!

Quilt on the upstairs wall of the Inn of Silent Music at Tylerton, Maryland
    Name:  Attachment-32301.jpe
Views: 17
Size:  64.8 KB

Here is a little link to the crazy patch tool. It is mostly to start a crazy patch with.

http://www.ezquilt.com/products/acry...implycrazy.htm

This is gcathie's quilt done with one...

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-16729-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    Are these templates for your hand stitching, or for cutting fabric? I have some that I have made myself, and I use them to draw the chalk line for stitching.
    yes, this is what I would do too.