Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recent finds at local Goodwill >

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Old 06-05-2014, 02:27 AM

While I was living in Toledo my favorite 2nd hand store's were the SAVER'S I never went in one that I did not leave with fabric or notions and I have adopted more machines then I can count. I have kept 5 for myself but my brother and I have fixed up and given away dozens.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:48 AM

Billi, sounds like you have been frequenting my GW store, or it's close relative.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sandygirl View Post
The comments are interesting. Goodwill is as only as "good" as the donations they recieve.

sandy
You are right Sandy but to be fair the comments about pricing are accurate too. I have been to dozens of GW stores in search of 100% shirts for quilts. I have seen as much as $8 per shirt and as little as .50 cents. Sadly, the higher prices have been the norm lately. I always look when I'm near a GW location but I have a price I'm willing to pay. If it's too high I just don't buy.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:53 AM

I find no sewing things at the local GW.....and all else has gone up in price so much I really have cut down on my visits....glad for the finder of the machine, AND the finder of that treasured Dresden used to wrap a glass shelf...wow. I went to an estate sale two weeks ago....last day all 1/2 price and there in the corner on the floor a quilt...I held my breath as I asked... For sale or being held for someone? For sale...I grabbed it......it is a beautiful, in perfect condition, hand appliqued rose of Sharon blocks all in shades of pinks on white blocks, sashed in pink, cornerstones in darker pink, scalloped edges, queen size and hand quilted with the tiniest stitches!!!!! The price tag said Amish $80.00 - but since it was half price day I paid a mere $40..... And in reality, I would have paid the full price without hesitation.....it looked just lovely on my bed when I got it home...unfortunately no identifying label...I think I will put one on for posterity....... But for now I will enjoy this beauty.......sorry the family of this estate did not appreciate what they had.....
Old 06-05-2014, 04:02 AM

wow, great finds
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Yay for you and your find! My goodwill often does not realize that it is not a department store. I'm hard pressed to find a scrap of less than desirable fabric for under $2.00. Last sewing machine I saw there was a beat to hell beginner machine they wanted more for than they want at Walmart.
Same here. I don't go there anymore.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:26 AM

Hmmmm, I live in NWOhio. Wonder where your GW store is located??? I need to check it out!!!
Old 06-05-2014, 05:28 AM

All of the Goodwills around here charge almost new prices for used stuff.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:56 AM

I agree that Goodwill pricing has gone through the roof lately. They used to be one of my favorite thrift shops but now it seems that they pull all the "good" stuff to sell on their auction site and mark the leftover stuff at like-new prices. I work near one that I used to always go into on my lunch breaks but I stopped going. If there is no treasure to be found, I'm not interested!

My favorite local thrift shops are charity shops for a local health & hospice company. Good stuff, good cause, and good prices. This is the same group that came to my home to help care for me after I had my hip replaced, and I'm grateful. (It was paid for by my insurance, but I am still grateful that they exist and for the good care they gave me.) I have found all KINDS of neat stuff there, and they often sell their sewing machines for around $20-40. (And they test them first & put little notes on the machine, and keep scrap fabric in each machine so you can plug it in and test it yourself. SMART. I don't need one at all but am always tempted just because...well, because they're there!)

Although they did once have an old New Home machine that was in absolutely horrible shape that they wanted $200 for, because it was "antique". Yes, and so was all the rust and filth! LOL Oh well, can't expect perfection.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:04 AM

Lucky you, My Goodwill usually doesn't have anything but junkie looking stuff and lots of used clothing that I would of thrown out..