Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recent finds at local Goodwill >

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Recent finds at local Goodwill

Old 06-04-2014, 12:25 PM
SMR

Red face Recent finds at local Goodwill

My local Goodwill has been the site of many good finds quilt patterns, books and some nice fabric pieces but I've had a couple of real finds lately. About a month ago I found a Brother model XL2022 machine that is as close to just out of the box as you'd ever find. Some of the accessories were still sealed in original packaging and even that little piece f test fabric they used to put under presser foot was there. Machine in universal hard carrying case for total of $9.00 plus sales tax. Yesterday they had 2 bolts of fabric (15 yards each) still sealed in their shipping plastic for $4.00 per bolt. They are 100% cotton fabric by Fine Lines Fabric that I'll use for backing on scrappy quilts.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Good for you. Our Goodwill usually doesn't have anything but junkie looking stuff and lots of used clothing. They have has a couple sewing machines that looked damaged.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:31 PM

Yay for you and your find! My goodwill often does not realize that it is not a department store. I'm hard pressed to find a scrap of less than desirable fabric for under $2.00. Last sewing machine I saw there was a beat to hell beginner machine they wanted more for than they want at Walmart.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:00 PM

Those are some nice finds! I also really haven't found a place with those kinds of deals. Yet!?f I'll just have to keep looking. Congrats on your finds though.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:46 PM

I haven't been too impressed with my Goodwill. Rarely have I seen decent sewing/quilting things (i'm particular). I've purchased jeans though. But some that I passed over were over $30. Really? For used jeans? My price is around $5 or 10 if they're decent. There are better deals at Easter Seals/Savers stores around here.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:14 PM

I want to come to your GW. When there's a machine there it's usually a junker and they want $20 for it. No material that I've ever come across. Good find for you though!
Old 06-04-2014, 04:20 PM

The comments are interesting. Goodwill is as only as "good" as the donations they recieve.

sandy
Old 06-04-2014, 04:58 PM

The local GW up here is way over priced in my opinion. I frequently shop at the local Salvation Army store but have never had any luck with buying machines or fabric there. I do buy mens shirts to use in my quilts, though. Usually pay about $2 each.

Great score! Congrats on your machine and fabric!
Old 06-04-2014, 07:08 PM

Yesterday we stopped at our "Restore" by Habitat for Humanity. We walked around hunting a light and spigots for our rental house and in the lights section was a china cabinet and the glass shelves were wrapped in a quilt. I asked the man if it was for sale, he asked someone else, and he came back and handed it to me, and said, "We don't usually sell anything like this and I was told to give it to you." WOW. WOW!!!! It is an appliqued Dresden and it is soaking tonight in the washer. It is all hand quilted, I presume it is cotton batting, and in wonderful shape. It is maybe 40-50's and I am so pleased. My husband just looked at me. I said it will look good on the spare bed in our cottage in Pa. I have been in that store several times, bought some things for my granddaughter's apartment, but I never thought about a quilt there before. I was really lucky yesterday.
Old 06-05-2014, 02:23 AM

Recently at my local Savers I hit the motherlode...plastic sealed bolts of Christmas panels for $4.99 plus I had a 30% coupon. I quickly grabbed 6 bolts and ran like hell. Just like that lady in the Ikea ad.
I calculate that I got about $800 worth of goodies for $20 plus tax. Happy dance!!!!