Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
reds and color catchers HELP I need somebody! :) >

reds and color catchers HELP I need somebody! :)

reds and color catchers HELP I need somebody! :)

Old 02-16-2014, 03:08 PM

Default reds and color catchers HELP I need somebody! :)

I have a question. I decided to wash a bunch of my red fabrics first the other day. I used two color catchers in the wash they came out red... so I put one in the dryer with everything also and it came out dark pink.. so question is I wet tested the fabrics one still bleeds. Should I use retayne on them I bought it but have never used it (bought it for batik fq's). or is it ok to use in a quilt and will a color catcher pick up what bleeds so it doesn't ruin the quilt top? this is important: of note I used some of that scrappy red in my medallion rick rack round.. about 2.5" 2 squares per side so not many but.. its right next to white. these little scraps I didn't think to wash.. sigh. its in two rounds in now so I cant just rip it out.. help help help.

(hey can I use retayne on that quilt top and will it hold the colors inside their own fabrics or in all my fabrics egad!).. there are two of us wondering about these color catchers just saw a post in quilt for quilters of same issue..
Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I would cut a tiny piece of the fabrics you suspect. put them in closed container with hot water and detergent and shake it for a time like the washing machine. Rinse and place the small pieces on a white paper towel. That way you can find out who the culprit is. I put a color catcher in my laundry with all shirt I have washed numerous times before and it still came out a gray cast on it. This is the method that I learn from taking a quilting class from Harriet Hargrave.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

You cannot use Retayne on a quilt top - only on yardage.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:40 PM

When I made my first quilt, I had not heard of Retayne. I washed my red fabric four times adding things like salt and, later, vinegar. Let's face it, I did not know how to set dye. I gave up, and used the fabric anyway. I gave my daughter a box of color catchers and told her to use at least 2 each time she washed the quilt. The red fabric in that quilt is still bleeding after all these years. The color catchers work fine. She has to use them each time she washes the quilt and the color catchers still come out pink.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Power Poster

First throw yourself down on the floor and have a temper tantrum! As much as I want to tell you the Retayne will work for the fabric already in the quilt, it won't. I think your best bet at this point is to get out Mr. Ripper and remove the bleeder from the top, sorry.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

I have learned to test all bright/dark fabric for bleeding. I cut a tiny piece and drop in very hot water. I take it out and lay it on a piece of white cotton fabric. It takes about a minute and saves me a lot of heartache. If it bleeds I toss it, I don't try to save it.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Oh No! Not less than 5 minutes ago I finished piecing together 3 identical quit tops and when I was starching the seams I noticed some of the red fabric had bled. And it was good 'quality' fabric! I guess I will give each quilt with a box of Color Catcher like everyone is suggesting *sigh*