Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Redwork Thread Color Choice >

Redwork Thread Color Choice

Redwork Thread Color Choice

Old 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Default Redwork Thread Color Choice

I have a new embroidery-only machine, so I am very new to this type of embroidery; I bought it to enhance my quilting. In acquainting myself with the machine and online designs I can import, I discovered something called "Redwork." I have no idea why, but it calls to me. Perhaps I've seen it growing up? Anyway, I have not bought much thread yet, -per some good advice on this Board that recommended I experiment with various thread brands. I am specifically deciding what color Red would reflect the color of red used in Redwork in days of old. I'm intrigued enough with this style of embroidery that I've found a collection at embroideryonline.com -Victorian designs- that appeals to me. So, does anyone have a recommendation as to the color red I should search for? It would be nice if it is linked to the Brother color number system , but it certainly is not necessary. For now, I prefer polyester, but since this is a special exploration on my part, I'm more than willing to use something else, such as Sulky rayon or one of Floriani's threads -you know, the better quality threads. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-20-2017 at 07:17 PM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

If this helps you at all, Th red dye most commonly used in the 18th and 19th centuries was called turkey red. A bright red, just a smidge to the purple side. Can’t help with the Brother numbering system. Just google images of turkey red.

Before turkey red dye was developed, the most common red dye in this country was madder. You should be able to find paint chips for both of these colors in almost any paint brad.

Last edited by Krisb; 11-20-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:14 PM

Can't answer your original question, would just like to say that whatever you choose, make sure it's colorfast. My poor mom spent most of a winter hand-embroidering 12 beautiful blocks, only to have some of the thread's colors run when she washed the finished quilt.
Old 11-20-2017, 10:05 PM

Buy Poly thread over rayon. Poly hold color, rayon fades with washing. Floriani is your better thread. I didn't have good luck with Sulky broke and shredded a lot. I have a Vicking machine. I use Robinson Anton with Top stitch needle Size 12/80, or size 14/90 most of the time with good luck. Enjoy Embroderying
Old 11-21-2017, 04:21 AM

I was really lucky and given a bunch of old thread that included some silk buttonhole twist. It's thick so I wound it onto a bobbin and used 40 wt polyester on top. Doing other things, haven't looked to see if Coats and Clark is still making red #128. I think I've looked at those Victorian designs and they are lovely.
Old 11-21-2017, 05:02 AM
anonymous

Best results are obtained by using thread designed for embroidery. My favorites are Robinson Anton and Madeira. Lots of choices out there. If you are going to be doing much embroidery of designs it is helpful to buy a light, medium and dark of a color. No expert on redwork, but I think it is a deeper red and not bright.

Old 11-21-2017, 06:30 AM

Thanks for the warning! I think polyester thread is supposed to be run-proof, but I just stumbled across a link that suggested placing some thread in a mixture of two cups of water mixed with one or two tablespoons of white vinegar as a means to set the color (something I could not do with machine spool thread) or to test the color to see if it will run.
Old 11-22-2017, 05:38 AM

My only comment is that Rayon embroidery thread is not color fast. I like you like the redwork and made gifts of kitchen towels with the days of the week. I think I did 6 sets, washed them to prepare to wrap and to my dismay I found “tie dyed” towels because the rayon thread bled.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I have seen many colors used for redwork. The old fashioned ones did have the turkey red (a dark red with a touch of brown). That red colorfast dye formula was lost in the world war II war according to my aunt Lillian. But, there is bluework, blackwork and I have seen brown, green or a dark gold used successfully too. I used a dark turquoise once and I loved it on a snowman quilt.

I think the multi-colored blocks are fun too. But, then that is what my mom made us while growing up.

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 11-22-2017 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by mountainwoman View Post
I have a new embroidery-only machine, so I am very new to this type of embroidery; I bought it to enhance my quilting. In acquainting myself with the machine and online designs I can import, I discovered something called "Redwork." I have no idea why, but it calls to me. Perhaps I've seen it growing up? Anyway, I have not bought much thread yet, -per some good advice on this Board that recommended I experiment with various thread brands. I am specifically deciding what color Red would reflect the color of red used in Redwork in days of old. I'm intrigued enough with this style of embroidery that I've found a collection at embroideryonline.com -Victorian designs- that appeals to me. So, does anyone have a recommendation as to the color red I should search for? It would be nice if it is linked to the Brother color number system , but it certainly is not necessary. For now, I prefer polyester, but since this is a special exploration on my part, I'm more than willing to use something else, such as Sulky rayon or one of Floriani's threads -you know, the better quality threads. Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
As Krisb states Turkey red is the dye used for redwork, The embroidery floss from DMC #304 is the closed in color to this. I would pick up a skein and use it for color comparison. Not a bad deal for under $1. Good luck.