Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
If a Needle falls out ... >

If a Needle falls out ...

If a Needle falls out ...

Old 11-20-2017, 06:45 PM

Default If a Needle falls out ...

On Friday (yes, 3 days ago) I bought a 4 pk of size 16 Singer needles at Joann. I was desperate as I couldn't find the Janome branded ones I bought a few weeks ago. I hate when I lose stuff !!

The Singer ones say "universal" and have a flat side and round side, and said compatible with most machines including Kenmore (which is Janome, essentially).

Three of the four have either broken or fallen out of the machine. Since Friday! I've been doing both FMQ and walking foot straight stitching. I went over too thick of a seam while FMQ, so the breakage was merited. However, to have two fall out? I assume from vibration but other needles haven't done this. WHat's the cause of needles just falling out when I put them in all the way to the top and tighten the screw?

If a needle falls out, I assume it's useless, right? Damaged ever so slightfly even if I can't see damage? I've thrown them away. I have one left. And I'm holding my breath because I'm under a tight deadline.

Last edited by zozee; 11-20-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Are you tightening the screw only by hand? Is the needle in correctly? Is it pushed all the way up? Assume you already checked all of these, but when frustration kicks in.....

Try this trick. Unscrew the needle clamp almost all the way. Screw it back in. Now loosen it again and insert the needle. Metal burrs can develop on the screw keeping it from going in all the way.

Yes, the vibration could be to blame, on my big machine, the presser foot screw needs to be periodically retightened if the walking foot is on. Or sometimes if I have the pedal to the metal.

And, yes, the needle clamp assembly may need to be replaced; parts have been known to wear out.

If you didn’t hit anything and needle still is straight, you should be able to put it back in. After all, if you forgot to tighten the screw and it fell out, not while sewing, you wouldn’t toss it, would you?

Janomes don’t like strange needles. Mine only likes Organ needles, so I buy them 100 at a time. It might be worth a treasure hunt in your sewing room.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:14 PM

Some of the needles are not long enough. I have to be careful in buying mine, and I have machines from an old treadle to the sitdown Tiara. I have all mine labeled. Check it out.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 PM

Krisb, thanks for the tips. I'll try them.
I use Organ (bought the 100 pk a good while ago) but all I had was 90/14. Needed the 100/16 for quilting this twin size, and was plum out.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM

I just had it serviced in August, so I'm sur if the needle clamp assembly needed replacing, he would've done that. Needed a new bobbin case to the tune of $30 because I'd apparently nicked it and gave it a burr. Don't want to risk that again, especially since my SMG just went out of business (they had to close their quilt shop after 30 years ).
Old 11-20-2017, 09:11 PM

I'm curious because you mentioned Janome needles. I have a Janome machine that takes ROUND needles only. I can't use needles that have a flat side. So I'm wondering if that might be your issue?
Old 11-20-2017, 09:23 PM
Banned

I won't even use Singer needles at all even in my Singer machines. They haven't been any good for years. They're a lot of times a hair thinner than other needles, that's probably why they're falling out of your machine. I use Organ needles that I buy in bulk, or Schmetz if I'm in a pinch. BTW, That "Universal" label on them means the point style, not that they're universally for any machine. It means they're not quite sharp but not quite ball point either so in my eyes that makes them universally good for nothing.

Cari
Old 11-20-2017, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I won't even use Singer needles at all even in my Singer machines. They haven't been any good for years. They're a lot of times a hair thinner than other needles, that's probably why they're falling out of your machine. I use Organ needles that I buy in bulk, or Schmetz if I'm in a pinch. BTW, That "Universal" label on them means the point style, not that they're universally for any machine. It means they're not quite sharp but not quite ball point either so in my eyes that makes them universally good for nothing.

Cari
Thank you for clearing up what "universal" means and your last line gave me a chuckle. It stands to reason that the "hair thinner" in size could be what's calling the needles to slip out . Aggravating! WHen this last one is gone, that's it. Back to Organ I go.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:07 AM

I am surprised that you go through so many needles in such a short time. I use Schmetz or Organ needles that I get from Superior Thread Company. Unless I inadvertently go over a pin I seldom have one break or get dull. I have gotten some of the new titanium coated needles and really like them. I am careful to use the right needle for the fabric and thread I am using. I keep needles that have been used in a tomato pin cushion that I have written needle sizes and types on. So that I know the size of needle in the machine I put a flower head pin in its place on the pin cushion. It is so important to use the right needle.
Old 11-21-2017, 03:41 AM

I only use Organ needles. I have had a few come loose or fall out, and figured I just had not inserted them fully up the shank of the machine or had not tightened the screw enough. I re-inserted the needle and re-tightened the screw and they worked fine. So I would not automatically assume a needle is defective or not usable without giving it another try. However the Organ needles do have one flat side, and don't think I have ever used one without a flat side. The only time I have ever broken a needle is either when I hit a pin or when I forgot to move the needle position after changing a foot and the needle hit either the pressure foot or the machine metal plate---oops!!!