Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Introduce Yourself
Quilter from Idaho Falls >

Quilter from Idaho Falls

Quilter from Idaho Falls

Old 12-20-2007, 01:10 PM

Hi Ladies. I've been getting the newsletter for a few years now and I'm not sure why I've never made it this far before now. I had to join after seeing Shelly's wonderful Christmas ornaments!

I've been quilting since 1992 and my first quilt was a king size bargello quilt that I made for a niece for her wedding. When I think of what I didn't know and the mistakes I made with that first quilt :oops: , well, I can honestly say I have come a long ways since those days, lol! I learned to quilt from Alex Anderson's program Simply Quilts. I taped each one and have them on video, all indexed to mark which techniques or patterns I simply must make someday. About three years ago I learned the value of classes and between the two I have become a fairly adept quilter.

Like most quilter's I have several projects going at the same time. I have a BOM I am working on upstairs. It is all hand applique, which I love. Downstairs in my quilt room (which is cluttered and much used!) I've got a quilt I'm designing for a class next month on the design wall, a quilt laid out on the floor that I am working on to sell, another quilt laid out in another section of the floor I'm working on (using Margaret Miller's Angle Templates), A tablerunner hangs on the design board (it should already be on the table for Christmas :roll: ), I've got a quilt laid out on a bench for a guild challenge, there is a quilt rack with four quilts hanging on it that need to be sandwhiched and quilted, and a final rack with a Kim Diehl quilt that comes out in her new book being released soon. It would have been finished but I miscalculated and ran out of fabric in the final border. I only needed about 1/8th of a yard and there was no way I could find the fabric. I bought it a looooong time ago and no search anywhere showed up anything. So I finally gave in and I've bought one color and just need to buy a second color to finish the final border and get this quilt finished. I won't even mention UFO's, though I do belong to a fun group called the UFO Bee. All of us in the group have "UFObia." :wink: I'm also working on a charity project here at home as well as one in a group project with some friends.

Aside from quilting, I've a wonderful and supportive husband, a daughter in high school and one who is married with my first grandchild on the way. I raise hedgehogs and I have a neurotic dog who was born on April 1st and never grew in his front teeth. I am active in two local guilds, one of which I am lucky enough to get to be Workshop Chairman for. I'm a big advocate of taking classes and couldn't resist trying my hand at the job. If any of you out there teach and are passing through the Idaho Falls area (in Idaho), I would love to hear from you.

That's pretty much me in a nutshell. I confess I am a quilt addict and fabric collector. Does anything else really matter?
Old 12-20-2007, 02:02 PM

Welcome! Lots of things to look at and enjoy here, plenty of inspration. Glad you found the place!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 AM

Hello from California! I spend a little over a year in IF, and a few months in American Falls outside of Pocatello. To tell you how long ago that was, I was there when the hospital behind the LDS temple was "blown up"! (Don't tell anyone here :D )

Idaho Falls is a beautiful place - especially near the river. (I wonder if the hotels figured out how to keep the geese or ducks off their lawn by now?)
I really enjoyed the people there!

It sounds like we can look forward to a lot of pictures soon, please don't keep us waiting too long! :)
Old 12-21-2007, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the welcome Moonpi.

Hi Celeste. I used to live in Southern California, also Washington state, Nevada, Virginia, Tennessee, Arkansas, South and North Carolina...I grew up a Navy brat and married into the military so I spent most of my life moving around a lot. I've settled into IF and am refusing to budge. I just love it and the people here so much!! Yesterday I actually had a bald eagle flying over my backyard. 8)

No, the hotels never did figure out how to keep all the geese and ducks off their lawn. LOL. I think you'd be surprised at how many hotels there are now. Right now the river is completely frozen over and so are the falls. Although, for those who have never been here, this isn't a waterfall like the kind one normally thinks of when they picture a waterfall. This is from an old power station and thus it doesn't fall from a spectacular height or anything like that. It is beautiful though and I just love getting out and taking lots of pictures.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:54 PM

Tiffany- I'm thrilled you found your permanent home! Will you post some pictures so those who haven't been blessed to see the falls will be able to?

Oh, I also spent two (school) years 30 miles south of you in Rexburg going to school there before I was sent to IF. (REALLY cold!)
Old 12-21-2007, 09:17 PM

Hi Tiffany, welcome & glad you joined in. I have a friend (who told me about this site actually) who has been reading & enjoying the site without joining in also. I did that for a few months myself until I had a question that I needed help with. Hopefully you'll enjoy joining in & I hope you'll also share some of your works with us. It is always fun to see what everyone else is doing. I haven't been on here too much lately as I've been sewing table runners & aprons for Christmas gifts. I'm all caught up now so I hope to get caught up on all my e-mails & what's been happening on my favorite quilt site. Happy Quilting!
Old 12-26-2007, 10:20 AM

welcome aboard....seems you really doing quilting....Good luck
Old 01-02-2008, 07:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

The quilt in your picture is beautiful ania! The colors remind me of the sky on a lazy summer day.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:35 AM

Thanks Tiffany....I am glad no one can tell I actually run out of fabric and had to add some other fabric ...lol..... Its really encouraging to see the finished results....The picture always looks better somehow than in reality...
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM

Welcome, Tiffany. Glad you found us.