Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
rejoining a guild??? >

rejoining a guild???

rejoining a guild???

Old 06-12-2014, 04:26 PM

I do hope you give the guild another chance. It can be such a great opportunity for sharing and friendship and learning and giving.

Totally agree with the others - the people running the organization make all the difference in whether the group is welcoming or not. Another side of the equation, it is usually the same core small number of people doing a huge chunk of the work to make the whole group function. Would you consider offering to help with one of the committees or work groups? That would give you another opportunity to get to know the guild members better.

I have found so often that most people are just trying their best to have fun and enjoy their quilting. And I'll bet that if you share your work (does your guild have a "Show & Share" segment?) and talk about why you made the quilts and who they're for, the guild members will appreciate your good heart - sometimes knowing the story of the quilt gives you an entirely different take on its beauty
Old 06-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I firmly believe I am the person in control of my experience whether it is at work, or a social situation like a guild or church. I don't let others "make" me miserable. If I am getting annoyed then I try to remedy the situation but I do try to track that I own and control my emotions.
Ooooooh I LOVE this!!! It is so true - thank you, Pagzz, for saying it so succinctly. I'm gonna print it out, make copies, hand them to my kids and tape one to my desk as a reminder to myself.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 PM

I think you should give it a try. You might even actively try to be part of the group...attending workshops or any way that gives you the chance to know a few of the ladies without the whole group being around. I know that I am shy and often wait for others to approach me. It isn't the best way to become a member of a group.

Dina
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 PM

I question if the reason the group is falling apart is the same reason you left in the first place. If the problem still exists then I would look for another group. If the problem is now gone I would give it another try. I have never belonged to a guild but have been a member of a few quilting groups. I find that groups fit my needs better than the politics of a guild.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:26 AM

I helped start a guild 25 years ago and we are still going strong. Not everyone is perfect but we do try to make allowances for differences of opinion. We do have one lady who insists on absolute perfection (and does wonderful work), however most of us just do our own thing and don't worry about it. You get out of it what you put in. Enjoy and contribute to those activities that you like and respectfully sit out of the ones you don't want to do. I don't like round robins or any time restricted activities because sometimes I feel like working on them and sometimes I don't (health issues) and I don't want others waiting on me to finish things. I participate as much as I can and enjoy the friendship and show and tell. It's been a very good ride. Try again and good luck.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:54 AM

Also, you are not the same person or quilter you used to be. You have grown.

The guild might have grown also, or at least some of the members.

It will be a new experience whatever happens
Old 06-13-2014, 08:25 AM
Power Poster

I think I might give the guild another chance. If you don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling, it might not be a good idea to rejoin, however, you might find that you would really enjoy being a member again.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:13 AM

Pagzz: My previous comment about limiting membership to a manageable number was strictly in reference to any group member's ability to host the rest of us in her home with respect to the physical space required to set up sewing machines, ironing stations and cutting tables, which also includes access to electrical outlets. It was in no way to suggest exclusion of a particular person but more about the amount of space available and not wanting to burn down the hostess' home when the group comes together.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:52 AM

Give it another try--go as a guest a couple of times before making a decision to join or not. If not, maybe a quilt bee would work better for you. Invite several people start your own bee. Bees can be kept to a relatively small number since you would be meeting in someone's home. I'm the bee-keeper for my guild; and all of the bees have eight or less ladies in them.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Terri D. View Post
Pagzz: My previous comment about limiting membership to a manageable number was strictly in reference to any group member's ability to host the rest of us in her home with respect to the physical space required to set up sewing machines, ironing stations and cutting tables, which also includes access to electrical outlets. It was in no way to suggest exclusion of a particular person but more about the amount of space available and not wanting to burn down the hostess' home when the group comes together.
Terri, I understand, and agree. I just was trying to show that everytime someone complains about cliques there is more than one side to it. I should have been more clear.