Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Removing blood stains from quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    #1- Dont beat the old ladies into submission if they arent quilting to your specs!

#2- if you forget about #1, make sure they are not by the quilt or still working on it.

#3- if you wrap them in a thick blanket you can beat them with a baseball bat and it looks like the fell down the stairs.

Other than that I have cut, stuck, poked myself so many times that afterwards I look like I was beat down by an angry mob. And my wife always soaked my clothes in cold water and used some sort of pretreat like Spray-n-Wash with oxi-clean and it has come out every time.

By the way there was no old ladies injured during this post and all information was deduced by watching the CSI series for the last few years. :mrgreen:

Billy
    Are you sure, Billy? Hmmm...you seem to know a lot about it. I wonder if you've used #3 on old ladies in Tennessee? Oh well, as long as you don't use one of your gorgeous quilts to wrap around them before you beat them it's okay. :twisted:

Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out. There is one old lady I would like to gag. She is not a quilter just a critic who asks the dumbest questions. She is a little slow and thinks our little group is her private property. She has actully scared away several perspective quilters. The quilts we do are raffled off to support extra services for the members of the center. The one I am trying to get the blood out of is a sampler that was made entirely by hand by a little old lady, who was taking a class and had no sewing machine. She was one of the bleeders that was able to get her stains out. She is 86 and her skin is like tissue paper. She donated the top to the center along with another one. We secretly quilted the other top and gave her the finished quilt a few months ago. It is a shame that she started quilting so late in life. At least she will get to sleep beneath one of her quilts.

Blog Entries
    This is an interesting thread.......I too am a CSI fan, but you know, the characters in the show that say the innocent things like "wrap them in an old carpet and take a baseball bat to them" are the first suspects they pursue when something happens! Better be careful! LOL

Do you think any of these will also work on a quilt that the blood has dried, and you didn't notice until after it was washed and dried?

A year or so ago, my Mom had an accident on her way to my house, I came into the living room to see her sitting on 3 lap quilts that were on the couch, blood pouring. After we got home from the hospital hours later, I looked them over, and thought they had excaped damage. Guess that shows that you shouldn't look at things at 3 in the morning, in the semi-darkness of a sleeping house!

In the mean time they were used, washed and dried. Much later, I saw a few small spots on one of the quilts. I am tempted just to put some appliques here and there on the quilt (it is a bargello).

Oh, and for the dear lady who has thin skin that tears easily, I wonder if you could have her wear gloves (if they wouldn't tear her skin worse)?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mpspeedy
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out. There is one old lady I would like to gag. She is not a quilter just a critic who asks the dumbest questions. She is a little slow and thinks our little group is her private property.

Just watch the Sopranos you can get a few ideas there............ :lol: :lol:

Billy

My father had to have lung surgery several years ago and the doctor had to leave the incision open for drainage. One of the nurses told my mother to take peroxide to the blood on his pjs and it took it out every time. There was never even a 'shadow" stain. Hope you can get the stains out.

Blog Entries
    I have volunteered with our local Blood Bank for many
    years. Even with much care, some blood drops onto the
    donors, and is taken out with, first, peroxide. It is wet and
    patted with a rough cloth/paper and done again. If that
    does not work, then the heavy stuff is brought in and used,
    plain old diluted bleach. It is about a ten percent bleach with
    90 percent water. When the blood is gone the bleach is washed out with clear, cold water.

Hope this helps..

use peroxide and Q- tips I pour it in the cap and work from that, and Qtips must not be dripping.
    this is all I use for any sewing, it works.

Ms Mac

Don't know if this will work but, my mom always soaked blood stains in a salt-water solution for a minimum of an hour then wash. My bro used to play football and practice uniforms had to be perfectly white when returned at the end of season or there was a penality.

Thanks everyone. I will start with the meat tenderizer and then other things if that doesn't work.

The little old lady has paper thin skin all over her body. It was actually almost to her elbow where she started bleeding. Like I said it was probably one of those darn straight pins they insist on using.

I'll let you know what happens.

Blog Entries
    Too late now, but in the future can you place pencil erasers on the pin ends in the area where you are working to avoid this from happening again? Or little bits of something to poke the ends into?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast