Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reverting to old ways after trying new ways >

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Old 07-16-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by charlottequilts View Post
I'll glue baste when I see a study proving that the stuff really vanishes from the batting without a trace, even in today's low water washers. Until then, the image of roaches emerging at night and heading straight for spilled glue will carry the day.

hugs,
Charlotte
I have one of the HE washers and when I wash quilts, I use the setting for bulky/bedding, which fills the tub. I use warm water and my regular HE detergent (I use All liquid). Even though I'm sometimes pretty generous with the Elmer's School Glue, I've never had a problem removing it all. One advantage of the HE washers is that they tend to take longer, which in this case, is a good thing.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:59 AM

A lot of my answer on this would echo ghostrider!

I did try a steam iron with steam but didn't like it, so have now reverted to no steam and a water bottle (same iron, just dry!)

I don't fancy spray-basting or any of the fancy die-cutting machines. I do rotary cut (and regard *that* as new, LOL!).

I wouldn't mind having a go on a fancy-dancy computerised machine - I'd love to have one that did alphabet for my labels - but don't have access to anyone else's and don't have the £ (or the inclination to spend the £) for my own. I suspect I'd go back to my basic in any case, so it would be wasted on me.

As various people have said, it's a case of whatever works for you. And it seems that I am not exactly cutting-edge (pardon the pun).
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 AM

I don't have a Go! cutter, and no desire to have one. But I would never stop using my rotary cutters. I have fancy machines and old machines, and use an old 1931 Singer for piecing, it does such wonderful seams and is a very quiet machine. I love all the modern things we have now to make life easier, and no real desire to go back to the old ways. I have arthritis in my hands so handwork is pretty much out of the question. I love my cheap steam iron and really prefer setting seams with the steam. We all have to do what works for us, and for me modern is better.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:47 AM

Yes, I reverted from gluing to pins and from a 2 1/2" binding to the 2 1/4".
Old 07-17-2014, 03:53 AM

If I try something new and it works for me, there is no going back. If it doesn't work for me, I will go back but keep looking for a better solution.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what I am working on. For example, a while back I was making a mystery quilt and couldn't get seams to match via machine so I did the culprits by hand.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Will try something new but mostly just use what works..usually stick with the phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...So if it works just because there is something new doesn't mean it's always better..
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 AM

Great question!

I did one quilt back in 1980, going by a 1970's book by a famous 'modern quilter' (Michael James?) who was doing quilts like old Frank Stella and 60's pop art movement. I used scissors and I measured with a regular ruler and a carpenter's retractable rule. I didn't quilt again until just three years ago and I was in shock when I found out about the rotary cutter, and clear plastic rulers! Whoa! Old way? In the rear-view mirror!

I would like to go back to safety-pin-basting but I am a weak woman, and spray works for me just fine.

However, I threw out my steam iron and use a dry iron and I love it.

And if you ask Ricky Tims or Kaffe Fassett ... I bet they have that 1960's art-style quilt book on their shelves and it has inspired them.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:00 AM

I am 67 but I do love my computerized sewing machine, embroidery machine and the Accuquilt Baby. To me they save so much time and at this age I need to quilt as much as possible to get some of my stash used up. lol
Old 07-17-2014, 05:22 AM

I am agreement with you.