Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Reverting to old ways after trying new ways >

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Reverting to old ways after trying new ways

Old 07-17-2014, 05:49 AM

Bearisgray, I try new things that look promising. If they look really promising, I'll try them more than once. After that it's back to what works for me. Sort of a "bottom line" kinda gal I guess.

Our children tell me that I am boring and that the worst part about it is that it is a genetic flaw - they are too. And then we all laugh.

Oh, and BJ, if that leaking iron was a Rowenta .... I learned through a call to Rowenta that the leakers are made in China. She continued that the ones made in Germany don't leak. (La!!!) So, if you want one of that brand name, I guess the trick is to avoid the ones that say, "made in China." I was very, very surprised at the lady's second comment.

Enjoy the day. Regards, Boring
Old 07-17-2014, 06:09 AM

I think the fact that I have so little time to devote to quilting pushes me to use whatever new conveniences and shortcuts I can find. It takes me awhile to learn to use new things but usually once I get the hang of it I'm good to go. I have to say once I finally really started using my Babylock Esante I LOVE it. I was terrified of it at first because it's smarter than me. Once I realized that it may be smarter than me but it needs me to tell it what to do or it can't do anything I sat down and started. I still have a lot to learn about all the things it can do but I love sewing on it. I love my Accuquilt go as well. Love the strip cutters and worked on a project with 2 1/2 inch squares. I'd have gone mad cutting all those little squares with out the Go.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:12 AM

I have reverted to pin basting my quilt sandwiches. No more wrinkles or crinkles on the back side and no more goo on my sewing machine needle!!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:49 AM

It depends on the "new" way. If it really is a time saver or easier, I stick to it like a sand burr on nylon stockings, but if turns out to be more trouble, less accurate or plain aggravating, I revert to the tried and true. froggyintexas
Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 AM

Yup, just went back to a mechanical sewing machine, after my 2 computerized ones aren't doing what I want. One of them needs a new motherboard...which I will never spend the money to get...so only does one stitch length (if I can sew in just one stitch length it works fine...but I'm discovering how often I change the stitch length)..the other does not have a zipper foot, which I have been needing lately....so the mechanical is back in service and doing a wonderful job!
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM

I saw something either here on the board or in one of the latest quilting magazines about a growing movement called Slow Sewing or something like that. Now that machines are so computerized and everything is so fast paced, some people feel they are losing their connection to the process when working to get things done as quickly as possible. It's basically about slowing down and enjoying the process of sewing and quilting and not rushing to get things done just for the sake of getting things done. I have always been a slow sewer and will continue to be so. I know everyone is different and slow sewing is not for everyone. But if you find you are not enjoying quilting as much as you used to, try slowing down and be mindful and in the moment when you sew. You may find your sewing becomes alive again.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:19 AM

I am bad about switching from new to old and back again, I think it is just the mood I am in when I am quilting or sewing.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:22 PM

I read here about not pressing binding in half before sewing it into the quilt. I tried it, hated it (I use bias binding so that may be why-it got a little wavy) so I'll be pressing the next time.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by gale View Post
I read here about not pressing binding in half before sewing it into the quilt. I tried it, hated it (I use bias binding so that may be why-it got a little wavy) so I'll be pressing the next time.

I used to press the binding in half, but I like the results much better the way I do it now. Probsbly not the quickest method in the country, but the rrsults are satisfactory to me.

I machine baste the edges of bias binding togrther with a long,narrow zigzag stitch to keep the edges lined up nicely. In fact, I pin the edges together before stitching them.

I also sew the edges of the quilt sandwich before binding it, too. That way I only need to keep trackof lining up two things - the quilt and the binding.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:15 PM

I've learned that new is not always better. At least not for me. I'm picky about some things and end up doing them the "old" way because I like the result. But other times I find that new ways work well. Just depends . . .