Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rotary cutter - which one >

Rotary cutter - which one

Rotary cutter - which one

Old 10-03-2013, 09:14 AM

Default Rotary cutter - which one

Ok several years ago I purchased a rotary cutter. I was not too impressed with it and I ended up going back to scissors. After watching videos I thought that I would try to buy another one.

I found this one at Amazon and bought it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am not saying that its a bad tool, but I am not too impressed either. Did I pick a bad rotary cutter?

What rotary cutter do you guys use?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:35 AM

I use Olfa cutters. I haven't used other brands so can't give you a great comparison, but I like them just fine.

I have the 45mm ergonomic one (like this: http://www.amazon.com/9654-RTY-2-Erg...ds=olfa+rotary)

And I also have a 60mm "quick change". I like that on the ergonomic one, the blade is "automatically" covered when you let go of the handle, but I don't find it any more or less kind on my wrists than the standard-shaped 60mm cutter. With either of them, my wrists do eventually get tired if I'm doing a lot of cutting (or are trying to get a little too much "life" out of a dull blade!)

What is unimpressive about this one? Does it not cut well? Feels awkward? You might have a dull blade, if it's difficult to get through the fabric. A nice sharp rotary blade should glide right through the fabric.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:38 AM

I have the Olfa cutter, "ergonomically" correct. Here's a link: http://www.olfa.com/RotaryCuttersList.aspx?C=2. If you have a JoAnn's or Hancock Fabrics near you, and are on their mailing list, you can use one of their coupons on it. Also, here is a link for getting replacement blades: http://www.lpsharp.com/3.html, this company has excellent service.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:41 AM

Actually, that's the same cutter that I have. I love it and recently bought a second one. I am not in love with the price of the blades however. But I just checked Amazon and they have a 5 pack for $12.40, which is a really good deal. What is it that you don't care so much for?
Old 10-03-2013, 09:50 AM

I have two different cutters. A 45mm Fiskars and a 28 mm Olfa. I love them both. I cant imagine not having a rotary cutter now that I started using one. Up until 2 years ago I too was still using scissors only because I didnt even know that rotary cutters existed. I was stuck in the dark ages. LOL
Old 10-03-2013, 09:58 AM
Power Poster

I have several different cutters, love them all. Sorry you do not like them!
Old 10-03-2013, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

I have at least a dozen rotary cutters, all sizes and brands. I get at least one new one in my Christmas stocking or from a secret pal every year. Sometimes I see a pretty one in the store and want it. The newest one is pretty blue and yellow color. I don't have a favorite style of cutter, I can cut with them all. I do have a preference for blades. I buy the titanium blades.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:14 AM

this one is my favorite.
http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...131003181306:s
Old 10-03-2013, 10:15 AM

I have that same cutter and have had no problems with it. As the others have suggested, you might try changing the blade. I get mine on eBay when I find them for a good price.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:22 AM

It could also be the way that you are holding it. Like any other tool there is a little bit of a learning and getting comfortable with it. I don't know that I have seen any utubes on this but you could try that. I was told to hold mine at about a 45 degree angle to the cutting mat.