Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotary mat

I'm going to disagree with getting the 17 x 17 rotating mat. That's the one I have (along with and 8 inch one) and I wish I had gotten the 12 x 12. My reason is I am usually sitting at my machine when I am using it, and the 17 inch one takes up a little too much space. The 8 inch one is too small for some pieces. I think the 12 inch one would fit better. To each his own!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Depends on where you will use it so consider that first before you purchase. Measure the space and get the closest size for that.
    Linda

Most of my blocks finish at 12" so I got the 17"x17" rotary mat. So it really depends on space and the size block you plan to make. I can't comment on cutting while sitting down; I've never mastered that. Whatever you decide on, I hope you enjoy it. Joyce in DE

I'd go big too. A couple months ago I was at my daughter's and we were making a tote bag. She only had a small mat (and small cutter!). It was kind of a pain to cut the bigger pieces.
    Lori

trying to stay grateful

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you are talking about a rotating mat, go big!!!! I have the 12" one & It's too small for a 12" block due to seam allowances.
    Kathy

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with the bigger mat. As for cutting sitting down, I can't master it standing up! LOL!
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

If you are talking rotary, don't buy the grey Fiskars. The surface does not hold up and chips. I have had one since Christmas and noticed little grey chunks from the mat all over the rotary blade.

get the 17" one, you need it, I just recently got mine and I LOVE it.
    Jo

JoAnn's has them on sale at 40% off and they have an additional 15% off on your whole online order.

pw6
    I want one of those big giant green cutting mats that holds up longer than these clear mats from Joann's.. I'll build a table to fit..LOL. it is a bummer to handle large cuts on a 35" X 60" table mat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast