Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rotary mat

Rotary mat

I am lucky enough to have a gift certificate for Amazon.com.........I love Amazon they have everything. I am thinking about buying a rotary mat. I prefer the Olfa brand but what size should I buy the 12x12 or the 17x17? I thought maybe the 17x17 inch was too big.
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

Are you talking about a rotating mat? If so, I would go with the larger. I have the larger one and it is so much easier to cut on. The ruler has more flat space to lay for stability. A friend has the smaller one and it seems a little precarious to cut on to me.

Personally I would go big, get the largest mat you have room for and can afford. You can always cut small things on a large mat (rotating or not). But cutting lager things on a small mat results in frustration and miscues more often than not.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

I'd go with the 24" x 18" mat, or something about that size. That way you can easily cut material folded in half lengthwise. Would save a lot of time. Then if you can have two mats and your space is limited you can use a smaller mat to do you cutting of the smaller pieces and blocks.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

I would recommend the largest mat you can afford.

If I had a choice, I wouldn't go any smaller than 18x24.

I have always used a 24" x 36" Omnigrid rotary mat. I prefer Omnigrid over Olfa because they are a little bit thicker and last a lot longer.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    if its a ROTATING mat- i agree go bigger. you can cut small pieces but you cant cut large pieces on a smaller mat..

If its a regular cutting mat.. again go for the biggest that will fit in that space intended for..

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have a 12x12 rotating mat. My next one will be bigger. But I also have a larger 22x34 cutting mat.

I have that huge mat that goes on the cutting table that JoAnn's sells and I love it for squaring up quilt tops. I also have a slightly smaller one that goes on one side of my cutting table and one a little smaller than that , it's goes where my machine sits to cut pieces. Nothing is smaller than 36 inches and I love them. I want that rotating mat but haven't been able to afford it yet. I have been collecting these things for 20 years so it all comes in time. Get the biggest one you have space for and can afford.
    Debra

I'm going to disagree with getting the 17 x 17 rotating mat. That's the one I have (along with and 8 inch one) and I wish I had gotten the 12 x 12. My reason is I am usually sitting at my machine when I am using it, and the 17 inch one takes up a little too much space. The 8 inch one is too small for some pieces. I think the 12 inch one would fit better. To each his own!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Depends on where you will use it so consider that first before you purchase. Measure the space and get the closest size for that.
    Linda

Most of my blocks finish at 12" so I got the 17"x17" rotary mat. So it really depends on space and the size block you plan to make. I can't comment on cutting while sitting down; I've never mastered that. Whatever you decide on, I hope you enjoy it. Joyce in DE

I'd go big too. A couple months ago I was at my daughter's and we were making a tote bag. She only had a small mat (and small cutter!). It was kind of a pain to cut the bigger pieces.
    Lori

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If you are talking about a rotating mat, go big!!!! I have the 12" one & It's too small for a 12" block due to seam allowances.
    Kathy

Thanks everyone, I think I'll go with the bigger mat. As for cutting sitting down, I can't master it standing up! LOL!
    Families are like quilts, lives pieced together, stitched with smiles and tears, colored with memory and bound by love.

If you are talking rotary, don't buy the grey Fiskars. The surface does not hold up and chips. I have had one since Christmas and noticed little grey chunks from the mat all over the rotary blade.

get the 17" one, you need it, I just recently got mine and I LOVE it.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    JoAnn's has them on sale at 40% off and they have an additional 15% off on your whole online order.

pw6
    I want one of those big giant green cutting mats that holds up longer than these clear mats from Joann's.. I'll build a table to fit..LOL. it is a bummer to handle large cuts on a 35" X 60" table mat.

I have the 12 x 12 rotating matt and will invest in the larger one. You cannot trim a 12" block on it, and I do a lot of 12" blocks. My table cutting matt is 24" x 36" and it's a nice size for my table.

I have the 12 x 12 rotating mat and really like it. I usually only use it for trimming HST's which typically are not overly large. My larger blocks I square up on my regular mat. I don't mind turning larger blocks to square but I really prefer NOT to do that with HST's for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Maureen NJ View Post
    JoAnn's has them on sale at 40% off and they have an additional 15% off on your whole online order.
    Well thanks to your little tidbit on JoAnn's I got right online and ordered one!! but I didn't find the 15% off but did
    get free shipping. Maybe it was only for that day. I've been looking for a 17 x 17 on sale as they are rather expensive.
    I also was going to get a gallon of Mary Ellen's Best Press but they would only let me use the 40% on the mat. I also got the little portable iron for $19.99 also a great buy..........Thanks for the info.....
    Evie

oh heck just like diamonds, bigger is better
    Amythyst

I bought the large rotating mat and am sorry that I did not purchase the smaller one. I know most prefer the large BUT I need to have a huge amount of space to rotate the large mat- like to use it next to my machine. I seem to be using the same area over and over. I should have saved my money and bought a tiny mat that I could easily turn or a tiny rotating one. Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast