Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rulers >

Rulers

Rulers

Old 03-24-2012, 07:00 AM

Tools do make a difference in making anything but you have to use them...lol. I think we are just natural born collectors.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 AM

Depends on the patterns, for most you can get away with your standard ruler, but some of the small ones are useful, just try one out from joanns with a coupon so you don't waste too much money, there are a lot of brands out there, fons and porter, june tailor, quilt in a day, EZ quilting, and a few others. If using it on one quilt use the same brand ruler.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:32 AM

speaking of Fons/Porter. Anyone getting their new series programs.. It seems we are not on our PBS station. I like to watch them, but now that the "change" has taken place I am not sure. It seems none of the quilting programs are on our PBS station anymore. I guess they are all on computer "clubs" that you have to pay to see now.......boohoo
Old 03-24-2012, 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by mmonohon View Post
I like my Fons and Porter rulers but I also made sure I got them with 50 percent off coupons.
I agree. Rulers are too expensive to buy w/o discounts. I probably have more specialty rulers than I should have but it does seem to save me time so I indulge.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:41 AM

I have so many different rulers that I look like a store! When I see them demonstrated at shows I get so excited but then when I get home I cannot figure them out!,,
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM

I have the OLFA rulers which I use and will be using on the OREGON QUILTING TV programs on public TV here in Western Oregon. People will eventually be able to request that they be shown on their local public station.

I don't make flying geese but use ALL the square up rulers. They make the sizing of blocks so much easier and are consistant.
GOOD ADVICE from Dolphyngyrl use rulers from the same company on a quilt.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 AM

I have several specialty rulers for projects, not just from Fons & Porter, and I love them. They do help me work more productively. The only one I don't use is those small triangle trimmers. I don't mind trimming off the "dog ears". I always buy mine with a percent off coupon from Joanns.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
ha, ha. i bought the two small rulers for trimming off corners on triangles. i hardly ever use them. those dog ears just don't bother me. they simply want to sell their rulers so they now include them in demonstrations, even guests use them.

I too convinced myself that I had to have those two small rulers for corners. Never opened them, have no use for them. All of my HST's are now done with Triangulations which I print with my printer and they all have the little line for trimming, zip, zip and they are gone. So much for expensive rulers
Old 03-24-2012, 02:05 PM

I love my june taylor shape cut plus ruler, that they use on some of the new fons and porter dvd's........it makes cutting strips super easy!!!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:16 PM

Before running out and buying a ruler to make Flying Geese take a look at this tutorial. Fast, easy, flying geese, 4 at a time. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t180442.html