Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Rulers

Rulers

This has probably been asked before, but I couldn't find it. When I watch the Fons & Potter shows, they are always showing how to use their rulers. They make it look like the job would go much faster, accurately, & easier if using them. My question is 'Does anyone have them and are they are as convenient as they make them look?'

My personal opinion is that using odd-angled rulers is probably useful. I bought a pattern that called for two different EZ rulers and I purchased them, but in hindsight, I think I could have just used my regular rulers; however, I also used a 60 degree ruler on a Stack & Whack, and it was definitely a good choice. So, bottom line, I think it depends on what you are working on. Good luck on your projects.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I use the half square triangle ruler a lot. I have great success with their flying geese ruler. It works great for me.

I like my Fons and Porter rulers but I also made sure I got them with 50 percent off coupons.
    Michelle

May your bobbin always be full! ~Author Unknown

Blog Entries
    many specialty rulers---not just fons & porters---are 'helpful'
    they are not necessarily required- you can 'make due' with what you have-
    but they make things a little easier-
    so if you have problems with certain blocks/cuts sometimes purchasing the special ruler will help you be more successful-
    sometimes if you tend to do a certain block ALOT---like making many many flying geese blocks- it makes sense to buy a flying geese ruler-
    they help with accuracy & with trimming- but you can still make (most) things without them- it is a personal choice
    i have some specialty rulers-some i use alot- others never- it just depends on what type of quilts you make- and what is easy for you-
    often your lqs will demo-let you try specialty rulers- so you can see for yourself the benifits and decide if you would like to buy it or not (and yes-they even carry the fon's & porter rulers---at least some do)
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I tend to stay away from rulers that are only used in 1 pattern, I can't afford to spend $20 or more for just 1 ruler (some patterns wants you to buy 2 -3) for just 1 pattern design. If the ruler can be incorporated into more designs it may be worth the money.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I have most of the Fons and Porter rulers and haven't used hardly any. I think some day I will and I get their magazine, so when I find a quilt I want to make, I will have the ruler for it.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Blog Entries
    I have only one F & P ruler, an 8 x 14. I love the size and use it alot. But the lines are not dark enough for me! I do not buy specialty rulers anymore, because I know I will not make more than one of any quilt. And I do not take retreat classes that require them...cost of class often goes up $30 by adding the ruler! If it is just for a certain size or shape, the local hardware store may be able to cut inexpensively out of plexiglass.

Ive wasted alot of money on rulers I never use. I have several Fons and Porter ones: Flying geese and point trimmers. But I do use there 1/2 inch rulers alot.
    The best specialty ruler I have is Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler, which saves alot of time and is revolutionary.
    I also have all her flying geese rulers and love them.

Blog Entries
    ha, ha. i bought the two small rulers for trimming off corners on triangles. i hardly ever use them. those dog ears just don't bother me. they simply want to sell their rulers so they now include them in demonstrations, even guests use them.

Tools do make a difference in making anything but you have to use them...lol. I think we are just natural born collectors.
    Linda

Depends on the patterns, for most you can get away with your standard ruler, but some of the small ones are useful, just try one out from joanns with a coupon so you don't waste too much money, there are a lot of brands out there, fons and porter, june tailor, quilt in a day, EZ quilting, and a few others. If using it on one quilt use the same brand ruler.

speaking of Fons/Porter. Anyone getting their new series programs.. It seems we are not on our PBS station. I like to watch them, but now that the "change" has taken place I am not sure. It seems none of the quilting programs are on our PBS station anymore. I guess they are all on computer "clubs" that you have to pay to see now.......boohoo

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mmonohon View Post
    I like my Fons and Porter rulers but I also made sure I got them with 50 percent off coupons.
    I agree. Rulers are too expensive to buy w/o discounts. I probably have more specialty rulers than I should have but it does seem to save me time so I indulge.

I have so many different rulers that I look like a store! When I see them demonstrated at shows I get so excited but then when I get home I cannot figure them out!,,

I have the OLFA rulers which I use and will be using on the OREGON QUILTING TV programs on public TV here in Western Oregon. People will eventually be able to request that they be shown on their local public station.

I don't make flying geese but use ALL the square up rulers. They make the sizing of blocks so much easier and are consistant.
    GOOD ADVICE from Dolphyngyrl use rulers from the same company on a quilt.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I have several specialty rulers for projects, not just from Fons & Porter, and I love them. They do help me work more productively. The only one I don't use is those small triangle trimmers. I don't mind trimming off the "dog ears". I always buy mine with a percent off coupon from Joanns.

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    ha, ha. i bought the two small rulers for trimming off corners on triangles. i hardly ever use them. those dog ears just don't bother me. they simply want to sell their rulers so they now include them in demonstrations, even guests use them.

I too convinced myself that I had to have those two small rulers for corners. Never opened them, have no use for them. All of my HST's are now done with Triangulations which I print with my printer and they all have the little line for trimming, zip, zip and they are gone. So much for expensive rulers
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

I love my june taylor shape cut plus ruler, that they use on some of the new fons and porter dvd's........it makes cutting strips super easy!!!

Before running out and buying a ruler to make Flying Geese take a look at this tutorial. Fast, easy, flying geese, 4 at a time. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...s-t180442.html

Quote Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
    I bought the triangle trimmer ruler as well, and think it was a waste of money. By the time you set the ruler up you can just snip off the ends. It is now with all the other stuff that looked so great but turned out not to be.
    Do what you love, love what you do!