Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Saga Continues... >

The Saga Continues...

The Saga Continues...

Old 11-22-2010, 09:40 AM

As many of you know I underwent shoulder surgery 2 weeks ago. Went today and had the stitches removed and all is well, slow to heal so I have to behave aka no heavy quilting (meaning machine quilting...which is where all my projects are at) for another six to ten weeks. So I was wondering, I am attempting a Grandmother's Flower Garden, always wanted to do one. I have about 20 hexagons done, the front looks great, but, the back leaves alot to be desired. Could anyone possibly show me the back of one of theirs, so I can see if I'm doing it right before I go any further.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:45 AM

Good to hear your shoulder is healing. Had mine done in 2003. Recuperation is long, but the PT helps enormously. I have never done the GFG blocks so can't help there. Someone will jump in and answer your request. Keep up the good work.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

I have never made one, but this tutorial shows the back on how they were sewn together. I don't like the color of the text, but that isn't important. lol

http://sunshinescreations.vintagethr...r-piecing.html
Old 11-22-2010, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

The backs of those look wonderful compared to mine :wink: Mine are all different sizes and the edges are jagged - BUT after it is put together no one will ever see it :thumbup: LOL
Old 11-22-2010, 10:28 AM

I was watching Kaye Wood cutting hexagon & sew video. She shows how to cut the hexs (no waste).eg. for a 3 inch hex she cuts a 3 inch strip wof folds in half like binding. Marks her triangle ruler (with tape). Then she cuts perfect hexs. Wish I could link to here.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 AM

Good news on your recovery from shoulder surgery. Are you having to do PT? I started a GFG years ago. I have enough for one border. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:03 AM

Recovery will be slow, or so I'm told. Start PT next Tuesday, probably 2x week and then once a week for a total of 10 weeks. We'll see how it goes.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by true4uca
I was watching Kaye Wood cutting hexagon & sew video. She shows how to cut the hexs (no waste).eg. for a 3 inch hex she cuts a 3 inch strip wof folds in half like binding. Marks her triangle ruler (with tape). Then she cuts perfect hexs. Wish I could link to here.
Very good method. I understand completely.

Thanks
Old 11-22-2010, 12:01 PM

My backs look similar to the one in the link provided above. They're not perfect, but it's the back for a reason! :)
Old 11-22-2010, 12:48 PM

I can't do pictures.........(sorry, dummy here!! :( ) but would like to comment. My back's are somewhat like the back in the link provided above, but I don't worry about having a perfect .25" seam allowence, nor are they all cut exactly straight so the hex's are not all even. ( I do 1 in. hex's, and cut my fabric 2.5 in. sq. Pin the paper to the sq. and lop off the corners. ) But, that being said, I don't fret about the back. As long as the seam allowence is very near .25" it won't work undone, and once it's completed, you will (hopefully) never see the back again! Enjoy the process. How about a picture of your back side. (the hex's of course :D )