Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Saga Continues... >

The Saga Continues...

The Saga Continues...

Old 11-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

The back side of my GFG doesn't look as nice as that pic but no one but me will see the back when I'm finished.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:37 AM

The set of instructions I was using said cut your sq 2.5 inches and demonstrated how to sew it on the cardstock hexagon. Let's just say, I have lots of material in some spots and then 1/4" at the corners where you fold. I just want something to do while I'm recouperating from the shoulder surgery. Something easy, fast and fun, that can be done by hand.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:26 AM

I also have lots of fab. in spots, but as long as you have your 1/4 in. at the points, I think you are fine. It is easy, fast and fun, and will be a good project while you are recouperating.
Wishing you a fast and complete recovery! My grandmother told me when I was learning to do embrodery (like 65 years ago!) that the back will be just between God and you, and God is very forgiving!
Old 04-21-2011, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by humbird
I can't do pictures.........(sorry, dummy here!! :( ) but would like to comment. My back's are somewhat like the back in the link provided above, but I don't worry about having a perfect .25" seam allowence, nor are they all cut exactly straight so the hex's are not all even. ( I do 1 in. hex's, and cut my fabric 2.5 in. sq. Pin the paper to the sq. and lop off the corners. ) But, that being said, I don't fret about the back. As long as the seam allowence is very near .25" it won't work undone, and once it's completed, you will (hopefully) never see the back again! Enjoy the process. How about a picture of your back side. (the hex's of course :D )
I do my hexes this way, too, and my back pieces are really lopsided. Don't worry about the back in the least, you won't see it once it's a finished quilt.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:38 AM

How is your shoulder coming along? And, your hexes?

I just checked out Kaye Wood's way, looks easy and no waste.

See here:
http://www.kayewood.com/tips/hexagons.pdf