Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sashing or no?

Kas

Sashing or no?

I am doing a "Brown Bag 1 yd. Challenge" with my guild. I think the fabric in my bag is the ugliest I have seen in a while. My DH came home from work and saw me pawing through my stash for something to go with it. His comment was, "Honey, you aren't going to find anything in your stash to make THAT look good!" I was able to find a purple that works ok. Finding a border was so hard. Thank goodness for the lady at Quiltworks Northwest who helped me out. I never would have thought about auditioning the fabric she found for me. The ugly fabric looks so much better from a distance, so the pics I am going to try to attach make it look better. Trust me! Well, I didn't know what to do to cut it up small enough yet have it still be dynamic so I chose flying geese. Now I can't decide if I like it all in one piece or broken up into 24" blocks of four pinwheels. Note that the mock up I did doesn't have all the cornerstones, so don't hold that against me!
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

Kas
    Ugh. I think my pics are now to big. I really liked how easy it was to post pics in the old forum. Well, I am going to have to practice, so when I figure it out, I guess you can give me opinions then. Ugh.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Kas; 11-12-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.-Groucho Marx

Kas
    Ok. I got two on there before my editing time expired. So here is one that might be a better shot of the first choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I like number one...
    Kitty

I like it without the sashing.

Blog Entries
    I prefer it without sashing. If size is the issue for whether or not you use sashing, could you not add another border?
    Quilting is my PASSION not my pass time.
    If Your DREAMS don"t Scare You...Then They Are NOT Big Enough!!!Dare to DREAM!

www.quilterella.ca

Senior Member Candy Apple Quilts's Avatar
    I like the version with the sashing. I think it's more restful to the eyes, and with these colors -- that just makes sense to me. If it had been done in shades of red and gold (think autumn colors), then I can imagine it without the sashing and it would remind me of falling leaves.

I think it will be easier to quilt if you have the sashing too, because you can do something cute in the sashing areas that will tie it together with the outer border. Also, I think using the sashing makes your border fabric look intentional -- and not like an afterthought...
    Robin Hrabik
    http://www.CandyAppleQuilts.com

I think I like it better with the sashing. It breaks it up a little bit. I must say tho...it's NOT the ugliest fabric I've ever seen....LOL
    Those who are piecemakers will sew seeds.

Hugs,
    Drue

I don't see ugly fabric....Just a beautifull quilt......
    Mary

Which one is the ugly fabric?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast