Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Sashing Question

Sashing Question

I am making the 4 quilt in my life so I am still learning, alot. This quilt I am working on has sashing and this is my first experience. My quilt blocks are 15"x15" and are placed 4 across and 5 down. I have enough fabric to do all this but I will have to piece the horizontal sashing pieces.. First question is that acceptable to piece the sashing and second question do I alternate the seams or keep them all in the same spot. This pattern did not call for sashing but I am using Marmalade print fabric and the pattern is called Lucky Stars. I thought there was just too much going on between the blocks without the sashing . Sorry I don't have any pics but hope to be able to post my finished produce. Thank you for any help.

If you add corner stones you could avoid the piecing of the sashing.

Sure, it is okay to piece the stashing. I do it all the time. As I keep reading here, there are no quilting rules. I haven't heard an opinion on alternating the seems or keeping them in the same place. I will be interested in seeing what others say. It may just be personal taste.

I look forward to seeing a picture of your quilt. (It doesn't have to be finished to show it off, you know.)

Dina

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean View Post
    If you add corner stones you could avoid the piecing of the sashing.
    Ooooo, I hadn't thought of this. Good idea.

ok now I have to admit what is the best way to add the cornerstones, which I like that idea but have never done it. Also, I have just decided that work is getting in the way of my quilting creativeness...

Blog Entries
    Here is a tutorial with pictures. http://www.sewinspiredblog.com/2010/...rnerstone.html
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

thank you everyone for your help. haven't decided yet which direction I am going to go. The tutorial is awesome. Sew many things i can do.... Again thanks for the help/suggestions. Love Quilting Board

Blog Entries
    I agree that you can piece sashing strips. You typically want to stagger the joins, as they are less noticeable that way.

If you do not want to use cornerstones, there is an easy method to keep your rows lined up. Create your rows first (short sashing strips between blocks). Attach the first long row of sashing to row 1. Iron. Turn over and, using a ruler and pencil, extend the seam lines from row 1 across the sashing. This creates "virtual" seam lines in the sashing. Pin row 2 to the sashing, matching seam lines to "virtual" seam lines. Sew, easing or stretching as necessary to keep the pinned points matching.

If you do not use the above method or cornerstones, chances are your blocks will end up not being perfectly aligned. Either cornerstones or the sashing marking method help keep everything lined up.

Blog Entries
    I prefer cornerstones too but I have pieced sashing as well. One important step for the regular sashing strip is to measure your top row before cutting the sashing to length. It is very much like putting on a border where the length of the strip should be the same as the length of the row. Otherwise you may have waves.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Great tut, AuntPiggly.
    aka Gale