Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Scant 1/4 " seam

Once upon a time I saw a show on Alex Anderson...can't remember the designer/instructor. Her 'benchmark' was the 'Personal piecing measurement'. I'm a full believer in this. Granted, the pattern calls for a scant 1/4". As long as all of your seams are consistent and your blocks line up - why fret???? I don't. I've even been know to 'stretch' or 'gather' a block or two in my lifetime. For a local BOM I just had to cut strips 2 11/16???? Who came up with that???? I understand why based on the later construction of the block but really?? Who came up with that! Go with what works for you. Relax. It really isn't that critical - IMNSHO!

I always use 1/4" seam, except on HST. As long as you're consistent, the seams and points should be fine. I've even used 1/2" seams (on enlarged blocks, for dog beds) and my points, etc. still matched up just fine.

If I'm using thicker fabric and am afraid of the thicker fold taking up too much space, I simply press the seams open, instead of to the side. Works for me.
    Last edited by Neesie; 06-29-2012 at 05:40 PM.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Power Poster
    I think some designers say 'scant 1/4 inch' for the same reason that some medications say 'ONLY take so much every four hours'

There are some folks that think 'more is better'

It also depends on how the original pieces are cut. 1/64 of an inch difference can make a cumulative difference if there are a lot of pieces are in a block.

Very simply a scant 1/4" is necessary for rotary cut projects so all the pieces fit together as they should. That means no fudging, easing or lost points. A scant 1/4" is merely 1 or 2 THREADS narrower than an accurate 1/4". Believe it or not there ARE times when something like 2 11/16" is an accurate measure; and you are VERY likely to come up with that same measurement if you used Mary Ellen Hopkins Personal Piecing Measurement Method.
    The trick is to learn when you need to use it and where you don't have to.

Neesie, I totally agree with you, makes much more sense to me.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

I just listened to Kay England's introduction to the Civil War quilt class on Craftsy and she stated she doesn't believe in "scant" quarter inch piecing. If you use a slightly smaller stitch length and finer thread than standard sewing thread like 50 wt Aurofil or Superior Threads "Masterpiece" it will be less of an issue.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

I have noticed a big difference in 1/4 in foot for different machines too. My Janome is a full 1/4 in. and my Bernina is more a scant. If I start piecing a quilt on my Bernina, I make sure I only use the Bernina on that quilt top. Consistency is the most inportant thing, as said before.

Power Poster
    If one remembers to do this - if one has to put project away before one finishes it - it's helpful to write notes to oneself - which ruler one is/was using for cutting - where one is placing the 'line' when cutting - which machine was using - which presser foot - if the needle is movable - what setting one was using -

Small variations can make a big difference - especially if the block has many small pieces in it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Anne View Post
    Aw, Aurifil, my choice too! Love it! And it makes piecing easier for me too!
    I agree, but still do a scant. Am so grateful that my Jem Platinum has one automatically

My home machine and my travel machine are set up to make the same size blocks.
    I have never been able to use a full 1/4 in as my blocks always come out to small.
    So scant is what I use and it works out fine.
    I wasted too much money on 1/4 in feet and now use my regular foot with a scant needle setting number on both my machines.
    With the group I belong to it is necessary to make an accurate size block for group projects.
    But if you dont need to do that it dosnt matter if your blocks are not the size the pattern calls for, it will all fit togather fine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast