Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
School Glue.. >

School Glue..

School Glue..

Old 07-15-2011, 05:53 AM

Thanks for this tip.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by ibeesewin
Just finished "glueing" (boy that sounds strange) the binding on my quilt. First time using the Sharon Schamber method. This just amazes me that the glue actually sticks once it is heat set. I think it takes a bit more time then pinning but..my fingers aren't full of band aids.
This is going to be so much easier to sew using this method...AND...the mitered corners turn out beautifully.
One thing I messed up on is leaving a long enough tail where I started sewing. I am going to have to hand stitch the seam where the two ends meet together. She did stress in the tut that this was important. I knew that but for some reason...zoom...right over my head. Now that I have made this mistake I will be sure to do it right next time.
I will post a picture AFTER I get the binding sewn.
Has anyone been able to find the fine tip applicator that she uses? I went to her website but it wasn't available. I've tried something I found at Michael's but the tip was too fine and if I use the Elmer's applicator, I get too much glue.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:21 AM
Power Poster

School glue is really a very thick starch, non toxic so the kids that do swallow it don't get sick. My mother told me it would stick my guts together though. LOL. I cleaned out an empty printer ink refill squeeze bottle and filled it with Elmers. It works great. Iv'e seen these bottles at craft stores.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:48 AM

I just saw the video the other day, tried it and love it. Then yesterday I was doing some needle turn applique and the little piece kept moving on me and I had so many pins holding it they were just in the way, so I thought why not? Glue works for binding so I put a little glue around the piece ironed it and voila, it held great and I was able to sew around it with no problem.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:51 AM

I've watched her tute and was wondering if it really works. Great to hear from a fellow QB'r. Thanks!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
School glue is really a very thick starch, non toxic so the kids that do swallow it don't get sick. My mother told me it would stick my guts together though. LOL. I cleaned out an empty printer ink refill squeeze bottle and filled it with Elmers. It works great. Iv'e seen these bottles at craft stores.
Thanks, I'll check. I do like the glue method. It was just messier than I'd like.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:13 AM

Wow, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen this tutorial. Have it bookmarked. I even have elmers glue, may have to try this.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 AM

I have been thinking about all the applications you could use this for.
Holding a hem in place in place. Between the two fabrics for button holes..Barbie doll clothes where the seams are to darn small to pin in place and sew with the pins in. Applique...Holding a trim in place...Will be thinking of more uses throughout the day.
Any more suggestions?
Old 07-15-2011, 10:38 AM
Power Poster

My new drapes were a tad too long for me so I used Elmers's glue to hem them. Held it in place with clothespin until dry. Still holding. Before cleaning them I'll sew the hem in place. I didn't want to take them down and put back up until time for a cleaning.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
Has anyone been able to find the fine tip applicator that she uses?
This is what I use the most - and I think this is about the best price around:
http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...t/Accssry5.php

You can order individual bottles, sets of three bottles with three tips and individual replacement tips in .5, .7 & .9 mm.