Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: School Glue..

Just finished "glueing" (boy that sounds strange) the binding on my quilt. First time using the Sharon Schamber method. This just amazes me that the glue actually sticks once it is heat set. I think it takes a bit more time then pinning but..my fingers aren't full of band aids.
    This is going to be so much easier to sew using this method...AND...the mitered corners turn out beautifully.
    One thing I messed up on is leaving a long enough tail where I started sewing. I am going to have to hand stitch the seam where the two ends meet together. She did stress in the tut that this was important. I knew that but for some reason...zoom...right over my head. Now that I have made this mistake I will be sure to do it right next time.
    I will post a picture AFTER I get the binding sewn.

Blog Entries
    love sharons tuts

Ditto.

Blog Entries
    I gave myself a V-8 smack when I saw her glue binding technique!

Blog Entries
    I just used her method as well and I liked it. If anyone is wondering, I smeared glue all over a test piece, heat set it and washed it and it DID wash out.

Blog Entries
    Going to have to try this. Have 2 needing bindings and 4 more soon to be!!

Blog Entries
    Love her method, the only way that I do binding now. I even hand stitch the back down, I used to do it on my machine. :thumbup:

So you stitch through the dried glue, then have to wash the quilt to get the glue out?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting cat
    So you stitch through the dried glue, then have to wash the quilt to get the glue out?
    You use a tip , it is actually a very thin line of glue. :-D

Thanks for this tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ibeesewin
    Just finished "glueing" (boy that sounds strange) the binding on my quilt. First time using the Sharon Schamber method. This just amazes me that the glue actually sticks once it is heat set. I think it takes a bit more time then pinning but..my fingers aren't full of band aids.
    This is going to be so much easier to sew using this method...AND...the mitered corners turn out beautifully.
    One thing I messed up on is leaving a long enough tail where I started sewing. I am going to have to hand stitch the seam where the two ends meet together. She did stress in the tut that this was important. I knew that but for some reason...zoom...right over my head. Now that I have made this mistake I will be sure to do it right next time.
    I will post a picture AFTER I get the binding sewn.
    Has anyone been able to find the fine tip applicator that she uses? I went to her website but it wasn't available. I've tried something I found at Michael's but the tip was too fine and if I use the Elmer's applicator, I get too much glue.

Blog Entries
    School glue is really a very thick starch, non toxic so the kids that do swallow it don't get sick. My mother told me it would stick my guts together though. LOL. I cleaned out an empty printer ink refill squeeze bottle and filled it with Elmers. It works great. Iv'e seen these bottles at craft stores.

I just saw the video the other day, tried it and love it. Then yesterday I was doing some needle turn applique and the little piece kept moving on me and I had so many pins holding it they were just in the way, so I thought why not? Glue works for binding so I put a little glue around the piece ironed it and voila, it held great and I was able to sew around it with no problem.

Blog Entries
    I've watched her tute and was wondering if it really works. Great to hear from a fellow QB'r. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    School glue is really a very thick starch, non toxic so the kids that do swallow it don't get sick. My mother told me it would stick my guts together though. LOL. I cleaned out an empty printer ink refill squeeze bottle and filled it with Elmers. It works great. Iv'e seen these bottles at craft stores.
    Thanks, I'll check. I do like the glue method. It was just messier than I'd like.

Wow, thanks for the info. I hadn't seen this tutorial. Have it bookmarked. I even have elmers glue, may have to try this.

I have been thinking about all the applications you could use this for.
    Holding a hem in place in place. Between the two fabrics for button holes..Barbie doll clothes where the seams are to darn small to pin in place and sew with the pins in. Applique...Holding a trim in place...Will be thinking of more uses throughout the day.
    Any more suggestions?

Blog Entries
    My new drapes were a tad too long for me so I used Elmers's glue to hem them. Held it in place with clothespin until dry. Still holding. Before cleaning them I'll sew the hem in place. I didn't want to take them down and put back up until time for a cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkys_mom
    Has anyone been able to find the fine tip applicator that she uses?
    This is what I use the most - and I think this is about the best price around:
    http://www.softexpressions.com/softw...t/Accssry5.php

You can order individual bottles, sets of three bottles with three tips and individual replacement tips in .5, .7 & .9 mm.

Blog Entries
    I order things from tooltron.com. They have the 2 oz. Bottle and tip for 1.99. I also order their mini seam rippers by the dozen. They have lots of interesting stuff. You need to look through all the categories because Im not sure they have everything in the most logical place. Good news is I just noticd they have free shipping through July 22. Im placing an order for more seam rippers.

I will have to give this a try! Thanks!