Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion? >
  • Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion?

• Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion?

Old 07-03-2015, 03:24 AM

Have you thought about homemade headbands? I want to try this..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_IYc0nlejI
    Old 07-03-2015, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    Have you thought about homemade headbands? I want to try this..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_IYc0nlejI
    I made a bunch for my 5 years old daughter and she loooooves it; easy and fun. I made also some for me :-) It use very little fabric. But for craft shows I have already too many products for kids and younger folks, and I don't see these headbands often on older ladies hair.
    Old 07-03-2015, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by profannie
    I guess area is a big part of it. Here in Quebec, Canada, quilting is not a very popular hobby (crafters are more into knitting and jewellery making). I'm always the only quilter! I sold at least one baby or throw size quilt at each one of my craft show, and I think they are nice, but not stunning! However, a throw is a big expense for somebody who is retired, an older people don't seem to need or want keyfob or pouch like younger folks.
    That was kind of what I was thinking. For many, retired or close to retirement, just buying "stuff" is not so popular. Where I used to buy something because it was cute or matched something, now I'm more like "do I need it", "will I use it", and "can I live without it". Especially the 'can I live without it". Now those microwave bowl holder all get a "yes"!! I would also, go to the dollar store and get some bowls to go with them. First thing they will think "will it fit my bowl" Take the guess work out of it and sell the bowl too.
    Old 07-03-2015, 05:41 AM

I love the potholder mitts that have the thumb in front, not on the side. The thumb part lays on the palm, its a natural movement when you close your hand. You don't have the thumb part sticking out to the side. www.anniescatalog.com its Annie's Craft store, it's the green floral mitt that is upside down, click on more images and you'll see what I mean. it's great for smaller, old arthritic hands like mine.
    Old 07-03-2015, 05:48 AM

The item number for the potholder at www.anniescatalog.com is 353181, it's called Beat The Heat! Oven Mitt, it's listed under the "sew" tab.
    Old 07-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by rjwilder
    The item number for the potholder at www.anniescatalog.com is 353181, it's called Beat The Heat! Oven Mitt, it's listed under the "sew" tab.
    Thanks for the link! I have this kind of mitt myself and I much prefer them to the usual model. Never saw a pattern for these before.
    Old 07-04-2015, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by profannie
    I made a bunch for my 5 years old daughter and she loooooves it; easy and fun. I made also some for me :-) It use very little fabric. But for craft shows I have already too many products for kids and younger folks, and I don't see these headbands often on older ladies hair.
    Oh sorry, I misread your original post....I thought it said you wanted something for the younger ladies. Usually I read the original post twice to make sure I've got it right, but I didn't this time.
    How about some of the microwaveable rice bags that we older ones need to help us with our stiffness? The free link is here: http://www.craftsy.com/pattern/sewin...16823~ffebeuyg
    Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by DebbieJJ
    thanks for sharing! I think my 4 granddaughters would really like these headbands
    Old 11-10-2016, 04:34 PM

I, like Lori S, sold many string potholders done QAG and then just put a binding on. They sell well and I was able to sell them in my area for $2.50 which I felt was a fair price. I used ends of cotton batting and insul bright. I zig zagged the pieces together to get an 8 1/2" square. I also did them corner to corner with a wider strip in the center and then added strips to each side. Sometimes scrappy and sometime I put matching strips on each side. Let me caution you, you will never use up your scraps. lol they keep multiplying but they are fun to make. I enjoy sitting at night hand sewing the binding but they can easily be machine sewn. grammasharon
    Old 11-11-2016, 10:25 PM

For a comfortable thickness of filling, layer backing (right side down) a layer of flannel, a layer of Thinsulate, then old-sheet foundation string or log-cabin top. I find Thinsulate alone does not last as well as having fabric filler both sides of it.