Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion? >

Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion?

Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion?

Old 07-01-2015, 11:44 AM

Default Scrappy potholder pattern for a craft fair; any suggestion?

Hi everyone,
I'm overwhelmed by my scraps and I was thinking about using them to make a bunch of potholders for my next craft fair. I have a few products made with scraps for little one and folks in the 20-40's years old; they help to pay for the booth fees and most importantly, they bring people to talk to me and look at my quilts. However, the artisan fairs where I go are largely attended by people in the 60-70's years old. My choice of fabric and colors is not in cause because I got a lots of compliments from them also, they just don't seem to find something "useful" to buy. I asked my mother (65 years old) what she would like to buy and she told me potholder, because she hate the silicone kind and potholder always need to be replace. Worth a try, because it's fun and easy. I'm just not sure what kind to make (the plain square ones or the ones with a little pocket). Also, is there a pattern that is more eyes pleasing: a quilt block? improv piecing? Would like your opinion if you sell them or buy them! Thanks!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:04 PM

I would make the ones with the little pocket. I think they are easier to use for those of us that can't always keep a grip on things. Actually, do some of both!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Matching potholders and oven mitts would be nice as well. I want two oven mitts or pot holders when I'm taking things out of the oven.

The folded fabric dahlia (think that's the right name) design is really pretty.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:49 PM

Every year I make and sell over a few hundred potholders.... all from scraps... Think Strings!!! Use strings of fabrics ( coordinated colors)and sew on point. ( I use old ugly fabric for the foundation) I even use strings of strip pieces, those inches left and the end of a strip set..are great to work into string type potholders. I don't spend a lot of time since there is a limit to how much people will spend only to have sauce and gravy spilled on them. I also like to use my end of spools and bobbins using decorative a few of my decorative stitches for quilting.
I also have some higher end potholders that are more labor intensive both in the piecing and the quilting , but all made from scraps.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:57 PM

Just a few days ago, someone on here posted some pics of round potholders with an egg appliqued on them, very very cute, bet those would sell. Also someone else did some that looked like pies, too cute!
Old 07-01-2015, 09:52 PM

I think I have seen a tutorial on here for pot holders. Good luck in your endeavour .
Old 07-02-2015, 01:40 AM

Here's a youtube video link to a quick potholder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8 I like this pattern. It's quick and I think it's perfect for scraps. Have fun.
Old 07-02-2015, 03:01 AM

I've done this one lots of times. Quick and easy.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by IrishgalfromNJ View Post
Here's a youtube video link to a quick potholder. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sipzCAflJQ8 I like this pattern. It's quick and I think it's perfect for scraps. Have fun.
Nice link! First thought is they use a lot more fabric than the "traditionnal" cotton batting + insulate material model. Quilting cotton is 15$/yard here in Canada... But the speed of these! You could wipe a dozen in a few hours. To lower the cost, I could use some of my 100% cotton recycled sheet. I buy these for backing pillow, bags, etc. and consumers don't seem to mind at all. Thanks for the idea.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
Every year I make and sell over a few hundred potholders.... all from scraps... Think Strings!!! Use strings of fabrics ( coordinated colors)and sew on point. ( I use old ugly fabric for the foundation) I even use strings of strip pieces, those inches left and the end of a strip set..are great to work into string type potholders. I don't spend a lot of time since there is a limit to how much people will spend only to have sauce and gravy spilled on them. I also like to use my end of spools and bobbins using decorative a few of my decorative stitches for quilting.
I also have some higher end potholders that are more labor intensive both in the piecing and the quilting , but all made from scraps.
I like this idea because I do a lots of strip quilt and I have more strips than squares in my scraps. Would you mind sharing how you do your potholder (how many layers of batting and do you bing them or stitch and turned them)? Thanks!