Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Setting on point with patterned blocks >

Setting on point with patterned blocks

Setting on point with patterned blocks

Old 04-24-2016, 04:38 AM
Power Poster

Do you have lots of fabric left? Normally you really want to make sure that the edge of your quilt is on the straight of grain. Sometimes it's better to ignore some of the rules. I would make additional full size blocks. Stay stitch along the diagonal. Then cut 1/4" away from the stay stitching. The stay stitching will keep the block from stretching, but I would also handle the quilt gently when quilting. The cut off portions can be joined to make additional blocks for another project or added to the backing for interest. Obviously, I have a typo in the pic. It's 1/4" not 14" LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548459[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 0-point.jpg  
Old 04-24-2016, 04:46 AM

Thanks. It's going to be a summer quilt for someone who prefers muted colors. Colors are dull olive green (the 3 darker strips) and oatmeal (unbleached Osnaburg) for the two lighter strips. Batting will be 100% cotton flannel fabric, for maximum drape. The back will be plain Osnaburg. I've thought about this so much, I know exactly how I want it to turn out (except for the quilting - still unsure what to do for that).
James
Old 04-24-2016, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Do you have lots of fabric left? Normally you really want to make sure that the edge of your quilt is on the straight of grain. Sometimes it's better to ignore some of the rules. I would make additional full size blocks. Stay stitch along the diagonal. Then cut 1/4" away from the stay stitching. The stay stitching will keep the block from stretching, but I would also handle the quilt gently when quilting. The cut off portions can be joined to make additional blocks for another project or added to the backing for interest. Obviously, I have a typo in the pic. It's 1/4" not 14" LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]548459[/ATTACH]
Illustrations are really helpful for those of us who think visually. Now I see what I have to do. I will make the blocks normally, BUT add at least .7" to the LENGTH of the block. (This is the length of the black diagonal line between the blue and red line in your illustration - it's the hypotenuse of an isosceles right triangle with .5" sides) Adding a little more will simply add more seam allowance for the binding. Stay-stitching before cutting is a really good idea.

I know I can make the block the way you describe and throw away almost half of it after trimming, but my goal is to avoid that waste. I never waste anything. Trying to think of an application for 14" seam allowances. There has to be one! (ha, ha)

James

Last edited by Manalto; 04-24-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

Ok. I thought of this in the middle of the night. As long as your quilt is similar to the photo: the blocks are symmetric with the same fabric on the edge, you can make the setting triangles from a strip set. I would cut the first and last strips a tiny bit wider so you have some wiggle room, but I think you don't need to do this. When you cut your triangles, you need to move your ruler so that you have added the additional .7" as you talk about in your last post. Starch the fabric heavily, and I would also stay stitch. Also, cut a sample from newspaper first to make sure this will work!!!! Now I should go back to bed to see if I dream up any more harebrained ideas.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]548605[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 00-point.jpg  
Old 04-25-2016, 05:01 AM

Wow...it is early in my morning, still drinking my first cup of coffee, this is my first read....omg, like math class again! BUT this time, I am interested! I will print this whole post out and keep hard copy in my sewing machine desk for reference..I know I can save on line, but I'd never find it again when I DO need those numbers, diagrams! ...old school!
Old 04-26-2016, 10:49 AM

Manalto, Love the picture of the Quilt, is that a pattern or your own creation? Would love to know the name of the pattern. I know it is a Rail Fence but not sure if there is a pattern for this particular Quilt. Would love to make baby quilts with this pattern to donate to a local charity.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:10 AM
Power Poster

very nice two color quilt.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

Theoretically, 3/4" would be adequate.

I would make the strips one inch longer.

I do apologize for the rough drawing - but that may give you an idea of how it works.
Attached Thumbnails srips.jpg  
Old 04-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Power Poster

1.414 is an approximate substitute for the square root of 2.

A very handy number to keep in mind when working with the diagonals of squares.
Old 04-26-2016, 03:50 PM

This thread makes my head hurt. But James, I just wanted to say I am glad you are FINALLY starting on this quilt!! I can't wait to see it!