Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses.  Need encouragement! >

Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses. Need encouragement!

Sew Kind of Wonderful Chic Kisses. Need encouragement!

Old 09-14-2016, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I agree. You need this much more, that not as much, forget this tute photo, nah. Not me. When they do a tute photo and it isn't for that step or any other. I'll move on. Too many patterns out there similar and less complicated.
Originally Posted by AZ Jane View Post
Did you check their revisions page? I always check there first, if too many revisions (every pattern) I look elsewhere. http://sewkindofwonderful.com/pages/pattern-revisions
Old 09-14-2016, 02:10 PM

I have not made that pattern but have made others from that vendor and they are excellent about helping you out. Just drop them a note and they will help all they can.
Old 09-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Kas

Here is a pics of the directions that are so vague. No indication of how much should be hanging out the bottom or to the sides of the ruler. My lettering on my ruler never lines up on the seam like it shows in the directions. Next we have the extra hanging out. I sort of solved this by trimming to a 45 degree angle while doing the ambiguous step in the first pic. Then we have what happens when you MAKE that background piece fit the arc. The first time, I followed the directions and didn't tug hard on either section. I wound up with 1 1/2 inches of arc protruding past the white! The pattern is supposed to have wiggle room, but that is in the wrong direction. So I pinned the second time. The arc fits, but now there is puckering in the arc seam. I'm going to try again with sewing a non-scant 1/4" seam on the arc wedges and see how that goes. I'll keep you posted!
Attached Thumbnails dsc_5980.jpg   dsc_5979.jpg   dsc_5982.jpg  
Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 PM

I have made several of their patterns. I had a hard time with their directions. I had to read and re-read them for them to make any sense to me. I made their urban 9 patch and another on that sort of looks like a double wedding ring. I also made a table runner. It did seem like when I was trimming that things weren't right. But it did come out ok in the end. Make a block or 2 and see how it comes out. I did find that directions were really hard to follow. The end result will be gorgeous.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 AM

Is it this pattern? http://sewkindofwonderful.com/produc...es-pdf-pattern
Old 09-15-2016, 01:06 PM

Whoa - I didn't get that one but I just bought the Chic Picnic. I love the one you picked but am thinking that I will try the other first. Maybe go out to utube and see which ones they demo'd and start there. Thanks for bringing this up as I am now thinking I will use some scraps/ugly fabric to make a trial block or two
Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gay View Post
Boy, this chic (pun intended) really likes curves in her quilts.
I started a DWR quilt but my rings ended up different sizes so it's now a UFO.
I'm so happy to discover that I'm not the only one in the DWR-UFO group!!

I love patterns with curves.
Unfortunately, they don't love me back.
I know I have at least one... if not two... DWR's. Made with two different patterns/template sets. I guess I figured that I was just messed up on the first one, and found the plexiglass templates and started the second one.

And I love Drunkard's Path variations... but again, THOSE DARNED CURVES!!!

They are all on my list of UFO's that I'm working on in the 2016 UFO Challenge group. Haven't touched them yet. I'm waiting for my "curved piecing Fairy Godmother" to show up and assist with them. :P
Old 09-15-2016, 05:39 PM

And now that I've read ALL the other posts, I'm a little worried...
I have that same ruler but for a different pattern. I fell in love with one of their patterns that Judi Madsen used ("Metro Medallion" - http://www.greenfairyquiltsblog.com/...1_archive.html ).

Hopefully, since this is not a huge curve, I'll be all right.
Darn, has anyone seen my "curved piecing Fairy Godmother"?
Old 09-18-2016, 12:18 PM

I made a DWR quilt years ago and I remember DO NOT USE STEAM when you are pressing the pieced arcs as it will stretch and distort them. Put a pin in the center of the pieced arc and a pin in the middle of the solid piece and sew from the center outward with the pieced arc on the top. Sew slowly and keep curving the solid piece and it will slide into place.