Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing 1/4 straight >

sewing 1/4 straight

sewing 1/4 straight

Old 03-22-2011, 11:26 AM

I use a 1/4 inch foot for my machine. It is so much easier. Just feed the material through.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 AM

I follow the pressure foot. Works for me
Old 03-22-2011, 11:42 AM
saf

Originally Posted by ramonarivera2010
Hi people, I have been quilting for about 2 years, feel that i am still new to it. the worst the is that for some reason i can't keep my 1/4 steam straight. i have tried to put tape and still that doesn't seam to help. is there some kind of tool out there? i need help with this so that my quilts are just as lovely and beautiful as i see on the quiltboard. i will take any tips to help me with this.
thanks quilting people.
I have just bought a new Janome which had a 1/4 inch foot with an edge but before that I used a repositional vinyl strip called Qtool sewing edge. There is a very good video tutorial on Alicia's Attic, demonstrating how to sew a scant 1/4 inch seam.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:27 PM

There is an attachment you can buy for your machine if there is a screw hole in the needle plate. I think it is called a seam gauge. You attach it to your machine and adjust it to the seam with you want to sew and tighten it down. It will attach in front of your foot and can be used with most quarter inch feet and on most machines. Unlike things that stick to your machine it will last for years and leaves no sticky residue. If you want to look at a picture the one for brother machines is accessory #SA538
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM

I had a great deal of trouble - then I figured I was always looking to the right to guage my seams - But not everyone has their right eye as their dominant eye - I'm left eyed ! Ever since I discovered this - I am much closer to that elusive 1/4 inch seam ! Hopefully that will help someone!!
Old 03-22-2011, 08:59 PM

If your pieces are skewing at the ends of the seams, you might need an awl, stiletto or skewer (I have a Purple Thang), to help hold the fabric straight as that last little bit goes under the needle.

One of my machines is hard to control because the 1/4" seam is only hitting the left feed dog causing my fabric to skew. My solution to that problem was to move the needle as far to the right as possible and measure 1/4 inch to the right of the needle and draw myself a line to follow from the throat plate down the front of the machine. You could make the little guide rail of moleskin, painter's tape, sticky notes or whatever instead of drawing a line. I'm a paper piecer also and having anything sticking up gets in the way so drawing a line with permanent marker works better for me than constantly having to put a guide rail up and off again.

I have a little cheapo White sewing machine that runs so rough there is no way to keep an accurate seam. Even paper piecing is nearly impossible unless you go very slow with it. I think the feed dogs go in circles on it--LOL!

Another problem I used to have was sewing long seams accurately. I'd start going faster & faster and not paying attention to the fabric on the bottom so it was slipping farther & farther to the left. The top looked like a good straight seam but I'd completely missed the bottom fabric. Now I only run about 6 inches through at a time and stop to check that my strips are aligned.

If you were taught that it's ok to sew over pins, that could be wrecking your seams also. I know my home ec teacher said it's ok to sew over the pins but she sure doesn't show up to help me dig them out of my bobbin area when my machines decided to eat pins and spit out needles.

Lining yourself up with the needle is a good suggestion. I have also noticed myself drifting to the left which causes my seams to drift.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:21 AM
saf

Originally Posted by BKrenning
If your pieces are skewing at the ends of the seams, you might need an awl, stiletto or skewer (I have a Purple Thang), to help hold the fabric straight as that last little bit goes under the needle.

One of my machines is hard to control because the 1/4" seam is only hitting the left feed dog causing my fabric to skew. My solution to that problem was to move the needle as far to the right as possible and measure 1/4 inch to the right of the needle and draw myself a line to follow from the throat plate down the front of the machine. You could make the little guide rail of moleskin, painter's tape, sticky notes or whatever instead of drawing a line. I'm a paper piecer also and having anything sticking up gets in the way so drawing a line with permanent marker works better for me than constantly having to put a guide rail up and off again.

I have a little cheapo White sewing machine that runs so rough there is no way to keep an accurate seam. Even paper piecing is nearly impossible unless you go very slow with it. I think the feed dogs go in circles on it--LOL!

Another problem I used to have was sewing long seams accurately. I'd start going faster & faster and not paying attention to the fabric on the bottom so it was slipping farther & farther to the left. The top looked like a good straight seam but I'd completely missed the bottom fabric. Now I only run about 6 inches through at a time and stop to check that my strips are aligned.

If you were taught that it's ok to sew over pins, that could be wrecking your seams also. I know my home ec teacher said it's ok to sew over the pins but she sure doesn't show up to help me dig them out of my bobbin area when my machines decided to eat pins and spit out needles.

Lining yourself up with the needle is a good suggestion. I have also noticed myself drifting to the left which causes my seams to drift.
Lots of great tips. I had the same problem with pins. Long seams too.....sometimes you just get carried away :lol:
Old 03-23-2011, 01:00 AM

I had tried almost everything that has been suggested, without much luck. I finally invested in a 1/4" foot for my machine and it is the best investment I have made yet as far as quilting tools go. And they are available for almost every machine now. Good Luck.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:11 AM

I'm not sure what kind of machine you have, but something like this might help you:
http://shop.sew-classic.com/Seam-Gau...-SCF161172.htm
Old 03-23-2011, 02:16 AM

Dont know if this has already been suggested but the pressure foot tension being too loose can allow the fabric to wiggle as it's being fed through. You might need to tighten it a bit so it holds down the fabric better.