Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Straight Lines Should Be Straight

Blog Entries

Straight Lines Should Be Straight

Does anyone know what the comment that straight lines should be straight?? I like to enter quilts in fairs and other contest and have received the comment on different quilts. My most recent quilt came back with the comment in areas to improve "Long lines of lattice need to be straight". The lattice I am taking to mean the sashing of the blocks which are set on point. I cut the sashing on grain but they would sit in the quilt at a diagonal to the edge of quilt. Do they mean that I should cut the sashing on the bias in order to have the the grain of the fabric square to the edge of quilt? Anyones insight to this question would be helpful. A glossary of judges common critiques would be helpful.

A pic of the quilt might help, but offhand I'm thinking that the straight lines are off square. If it's a long line of sashing it should be perfectly straight from one edge to the other.
    May your stitches always be straight, your seams always lie flat, and your grain never be biased against you.

Sue

It could also mean that the edges of the quilt aren't straight, but it's hard to tell without the judge being more specific.

Can you post a pic?.....hard to make a comment without a reference. But sometimes judges can be very 'critical' just to be critical.
    Linda

Blog Entries
    A photo would really help.

There's no issue with on-point sashing, and it does not need to be cut on the bias.

My best guess is that your blocks are not perfectly lined up so that, when viewing the entire quilt, the sashing looks not straight. Did you use cornerstones for the sashing? This is one way to keep the blocks lined up.

If you did not use cornerstones, did you mark the wrong side of the long sashing pieces and pin before sewing them together? If not, your blocks are probably not aligned perfectly with each other. I have posted before about how to do this. If you need those instructions, I can post them again in this thread.

Power Poster
    With borders and long sashing, some judges look down the line to see if the fabric is running straight. You can get some distortion when the quilt is quilted if the long lines are not stabilized first. Did you hand or machine quilt it? I machine quilt any straight lines first before FMQ for that reason. If you crosshatched the background, you have to be careful to stretch the masking tape that you quilt along from one corner of the whole quilt to the adjacent corner. Using partial pieces you can get a bend in the crosshatch lines. I don't know if any of this applies to your quilt without seeing a picture. Some judges are very fussy about borders running straight with no waves in them also.

Blog Entries
    This is a picture of the quilt as it hung in the show. Judges comment was lattice need work on being straight and I am not sure what that means.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, straight or not, your quilt is beautiful! I love the combination of colors. It's lovely!
    Bernina 640, Singer 201-3, Singer Centennial 15-91, Tin Lizzie 26" long arm

I don't know about those judges , but it is stunning and I can't see a thing wrong with it.
    May you always have Love to Share , Health to Spare, and Friends that Care!

That's a beautiful quilt! Were they talking about the actual quilting? I can't tell how it's quilted in that picture. Lattice could mean gridwork- is there any grid quilting on it?

Honestly, I can't see anything wrong with it from that picture. Very pretty.

QM
    I can't tell from the picture, although there MIGHT be a very slight wobble in the lower right hand corner. Be aware that judging is not completely objective. I, and friends of mine, have had one judge make negative comments on something praised by another judge. The extreme version of this was a friend whose quilt was disqualified from the state fari because it was deemed obscene. She entered it in our quilt show complete with the previous critique. The universal view of our show goers and our judge (blue ribbon) was that it was a darling image of her 2 sons building a sand castles. The boys were wearing knee length shorts. If you can't find the problem, don't worry about it. I have had the reverse happen a couple of times. I was persuaded to enter something in a quilt show although I did not think it good enough and I got a blue ribbon, while another, that I thought was a "sure" winner didn't even place.

Your quilt has very strong diagonal lines. While I can't see and clear errors, in person, sometimes minor variations from straight lines are more noticable. If the quilt show is very competitive, sometimes judges need to quibble over very minor details. I have seen the difference between first place and honorable mention be the sharpness of the mitered corners on the binding. My friend who got the HM didn;t speak to me for a week.

I can see a possible wobble in the top left, but it could be the way the quilt is hanging. I'd suggest checking it over with a good long ruler, that should sort things out. There are so many straight lines going on in that quilt that I wouldn't know where to start, though! Very nice quilt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
    I don't know about those judges , but it is stunning and I can't see a thing wrong with it.
    ditto from here.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Blog Entries
    Perfect example of why not to enter quilts for judgement (Not judging). Your quilt is beautiful! I really enjoy quilting and don't need someone "picking lint" about my methods - therefore do not enter into any kind of show or contest.
    Please don't let this spoil your satisfaction with your quilt - it is stunning!

Lattice means sashing to me. From the picture, I sure don't see any lattice that isn't straight. I guess you will have to look closely. Maybe the width of the lattice varies slightly, which would make a curved look.

I know that it is quite a challenge for me to "keep my straight lines straight".

Dayle

It's impossible to tell from a web photo, but it looks to me like there are several places where the lattice is not a consistent width and do not meet at consistent 90 angles...it could simply be the way it hangs and the camera angle. Only you can tell for sure with a ruler and a square edge. Also check the long lines with a yardstick to see if they warp at all.

Use the comment as a learning experience, not as a criticism, and your next quilt will be even better. Please do not stop submitting quilts for judging comments just because you got one you don't understand. Have you asked the show coordinator for clarification? She/he could possibly get that from the judges for you even after the fact.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I don't know how many quilts were in the contest but sometimes judges have so much to go through that they don't write lengthy comments. That's not an excuse but from what the judge wrote, it's not clear what she means by 'lattice'. Your quilt is beautiful ..... it certainly deserves a prize.

Power Poster
    It's a beautiful quilt and I don't see any lattice or sashing that isn't straight. Be aware that in judging a pile of outstanding quilts, judges look for LITTLE things to eliminate some quilts to narrow down the judging field. Obviously if all the quilts were beautiful, with outstanding workmanship, with eye catching designs and colours, how could they pick a first place? Don't take to heart that comment that one little thing that knocked it down a bit. Remember also, different venue, different judge and maybe a first place ribbon!

CoCoQuilter, based on this photo I don't see anything out of place. I wouldn't take the comment to heart. It looks perfect to many of us. It is lovely.

It's gorgeous!!!!!

Well my eyes must be bad cause all I see is ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! I only hope someday I can make a quilt half that stunning! You should be so proud of it! (BTW, our sons showed animals in 4-H. One day they showed the same animal in a double show with 2 different judges. The first show the animal received last place, the next show Res Gr Champion. It was a great lesson that we have never forgotten!)

beautiful quilt. I cant see it. but maybe up close the judge saw something. Sometimes I think they just have to say something ulgy about every quilt. we had that happen her a few times. didnt invite that judge back. ps.. I love your binding, I like to do that too.
    Vicki Mc in SC
    www.jacksonpatchquilt.blogspot.com

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I agree it may well be in the quilting rather than the piecing, particularly if it was handquilted.
    Nevertheless, "one person's opinion" (no matter how "professional") does not a failure make.....keep reminding yourself of that fact. Your quilt is absolutely lovely!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    boy, i'd need a long yard stick to lay on the sashings to see any variance in them. looks good from here.

Blog Entries
    I am not really worried about the criticism. I wouldn't enter show if I couldn't take the critique. I just wish I understood what they were telling me sometimes. Thanks about mentioning the yardstick and they line up of blocks. It was a very competitive show and I didn't expect to win but want to improve for future shows. I took a class with a judge and she had been explaining the straight line being straight seemed to be having the straight of grain a being square to the edge of the quilt. This had me confused when the lattice was for blocks set on point. It seems like a waste of fabric to cut the lattice at a bias and that I would get more distortion that way so of coursed I didn't try it that way. I'll measure my lattice again and if I enter another show with it I my try to block out any variance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast