Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Straight Lines Should Be Straight

Looks beautiful to me. Must be VERY PICKY judges. Good luck with the next one. Your work is gorgeous.
    Linda

Maybe the show should be more careful in how they hang the quilt. I think it is beautiful. Sounds like the judges were elitist snobs. I have been involved in several shows and I have never heard of a judge giving negative comments.

quiltmama22

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoQuilter View Post
    Does anyone know what the comment that straight lines should be straight??--- "Long lines of lattice need to be straight". The lattice I am taking to mean the sashing of the blocks which are set on point. I cut the sashing on grain but they would sit in the quilt at a diagonal to the edge of quilt. Do they mean that I should cut the sashing on the bias in order to have the the grain of the fabric square to the edge of quilt? ----
    When I took the NQA Short Course on Quilt Judging the "straight lines should be straight" comment referred to either piecing (sashing & blocks line up in a straight line, border wobble where it is attached to the body of the quilt, outside edges straight, etc) OR to long straight line of quilting (by hand OR by machine). Regarding 2nd question---I doubt that's what they meant.

From working in judging rooms all comments about the quilt are made & recorded as the judge goes over the quilt the first time. Then at the end, when he/she is reviewing all the ones held back for possible ribbons, they "may" ask for comments to be read to them if the competition is so stiff that they are having a hard time deciding between several really nice ones.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrilley View Post
    Perfect example of why not to enter quilts for judgement (Not judging). Your quilt is beautiful! I really enjoy quilting and don't need someone "picking lint" about my methods - therefore do not enter into any kind of show or contest.
    Please don't let this spoil your satisfaction with your quilt - it is stunning!
    Agree with these comments. I like to go to shows, but won't submit. Each quilter has to decide whether to undergo the intense scrutiny of judging, or not. My quilts are not perfect but they are good and I don't need the stress of being judged. Your quilt is just beautiful. Use it in good health.

I have scribed for a judge before and this comment refers to "line of sight". When they look down a long seam line of a sashing or border, they don't want to see any waviness. I hope I have explained well enough.

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous and definitely, please do not take any 'judging' comments to seriously. As a previous poster mentioned, with experience of years of showing animals in fairs while growing up, it was not uncommon to show an animal under one judge one day and win overall grand, just to have the same animal the following day, under a different judge, get sifted. Until the process of 'judging' can remove 'human' aspect of judging (ie, personal preferences, etc), it will always just be a crap shoot. I'd suggest showing the same quilt in another show with a different judge and then compare notes.

It's a beautiful quilt and I'm sure that there were many who attended the show that enjoyed looking at it and can't find any more un-straight lines than we did. Thank you for taking the risk of criticism to share it with the others that attended the show. I know if you could hear all the positive comments of those attending you would be encouraged.
    Thimble and Thread

Wow! Gorgeous quilt...love the colors...you have my vote!!! Can't see a thing wrong with it...only that it's not at my house...lol!!!

That is a gorgeous quilt! Looks perfect to me! Judges are tooo picky!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    Maybe the show should be more careful in how they hang the quilt. I think it is beautiful. Sounds like the judges were elitist snobs. I have been involved in several shows and I have never heard of a judge giving negative comments.
    That's odd, in my experience judges always give a 'room to grow' comment. That's why most of us enter judged shows to begin with...to get the critique. You cannot improve if all you get is praise.

"Straight lines should be straight" is not at all the comment of an 'elitist snob', and furthermore the judge took the time to explain what area he/she was referring to. It is standard wording meant to help the quilter improve her workmanship...as she is clearly trying to do by seeking more information from us. Nowhere does the OP express resentment, anger, or discouragement over the comment, specifically saying she is not upset by it and would only like clarification on it's meaning.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Beautiful quilt. Looks 'straight' to me. Wonder what the judges meant ?

I'm not 100% sure but I think the lattice is the black strips attached to the green cornerstones. I think your quilt is gorgeous and don't notice a thing. I know some ladies who enter quilts in our local fair, and some of the judges are nit picky and others are great it depends on the year.

As a long-time judge, and without a photo, I would guess that your fabric widths are not the same width. For instance, do they measure a wobbly 2.5 inches? If it's supposed to be 2.25 inches, it must be that. Watch your seam widths when cutting and stitching. If the comments refer to quilting lines, whether hand or machine, they must be straight. The comments would not be about grain line, but your cutting, stitching, width evenness.

Lay a ruler along your sashing to see if the widths are exactly the same throughout. If not, figure out the problem and make corrections on your next quilt top.
    Best of luck,
    SandyQuilter

Banned
    From a Judge. The statement means that any long seam - be it sashing or just straight line of blocks sewedtohether should be straight. Pictures might not show correctly but it appears that the 4th row from the bottom, the one long in the center just at the top of the white card on the right bows a bit and does not appear straight.
    Now before anyone says - "it looks ok to me" or "what are the judges talking about", remember that the quilt is in competition with others and if one quilt has all long lines of sewing that are straight and one is not,......then which one gets the ribbon.....If you had a company put new tile on the kitchen floor - would you want them straight or some slightly bowed.......same in quilting.

Senior Member Karen's Kreations's Avatar
    That quilt is gorgeous!

I have no clue as to exactly what the judges are referencing.... But I think your quilt is just beautiful. I really love all of it , the colors, inculding the color placement, and the pattern. Your workmanship appears to be spot on !

Blog Entries
    Great quilt. I can see this as a way of using my stash. What is the pattern name Please!!!

elm
    Wow! That certainly looks straight. Judges must use magnifying glasses. Have you been able to speak to a judge? Having one point out the problem would certainly make it easier for you to understand. Is there a local person who has served as a judge for quilt shows who could look at you quilt?

Blog Entries
    I think that quilt is totally AWSOME, I think we the board have out-voted the judge

Perfect example of why not to enter quilts for judgement (Not judging). Your quilt is beautiful! I really enjoy quilting and don't need someone "picking lint" about my methods - therefore do not enter into any kind of show or contest.
    I agree 100%, my fellings exactly. As long as I like it that is all that matters to me.
    Beautiful quilt BTW, and I don't see anything wrong with it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

It surely looks straight to me! Congrats for having it on display.

[QUOTE=CoCoQuilter;5196249]Does anyone know what the comment that stra

If it makes you happy, then don't worry about it. The pattern and the colors are beautiful. It's a wonderful quilt!

It's the perfect reason to enter a quilt. How can you know where you need improvement if somebody doesn't point it out to you?

Besides, half the reason the public goes to the fair is to see the quilt display.

Banned
    It appears that several have answered your question, especially the poster who had taken the NQA Judging class.
    We don't know what the competition was in the show where you entered the quilt and the photograph is certainly not the best way to see what the comment referred tol. But the answer was in several of the posts. It is difficult judging to start with and sometime just a small thing like "straight lines" is the difference from one quilt getting the ribbon over another - or even mitred corners. But one final comment. After reading all the comments I tend to resent it when a judge is referred to as an "eliete snob".

Quote Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
    Calling people names is never appropriate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast