Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing the binding on by machine... clarify? >

sewing the binding on by machine... clarify?

sewing the binding on by machine... clarify?

Old 04-07-2011, 04:15 PM

I think you are cutting the binding to wide. Because when you stitched the blanket stitch it completely missed the otherby a lot, so it was a lot wider on the blanket stitch side.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:00 PM

As I see it, first you sewed the binding on with a 1/4 inch seam. Next you turned the binding to the other side. My next step would be to bring the (fold)edge just over the stitching from the other side.
If the edge you are working on just barely covers the stitching, the new stitching will cover the previous stitching and you will not have the extra line of stitching from side one.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:35 PM

I did a 2nd one tonight and it came out much better! I sewed it on the front, stuck with the same stitch-cause I like it-tried to stitch just barely past the seam line and it hit the front binding!! It doesn't ride at the right spot the whole way--but hey, it looks cool! I'll take a photo tomorrow... it's been a long day. Nice, but long. :-D Thanks for your help!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by GramaLaura
That's why I always finish by hand :-D
And I will for most things... but for my very rare potholder run and maybe a doll quilt now and then, this is kind of fun. :lol:
Old 04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Good to hear that it is working better for you.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by mythreesuns
See we learn something new every day. I am a self taught quilter and I was machine sewing my binding on so different then everyone on here it seems like. I line my binding up on the front and back...and just sew once. So I only have to sew around the quilt once and the front and back sew lines are the same. So no SID or hand sewing for me.
I do the same. Actually, I've been cutting them 2 1/4", then I starch and press them so that the seam allowances are tucked in, and the front is just a smidge narrower than the back (so, almost but not quite in half) -- same as a double fold binding you would buy. Then just stitch once, catching both front and back at the same time. Once in a while I will miss a few stitches on the back, and just tack them in by hand when checking at the end, but usually it goes all the way around first time.

For the corners with this method... stitch right to the corner, as you come to it. Back up a few stitches, fold the bottom and top of the binding into a neat mitre, then stitch up to the inside corner and turn as you normally would.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:00 PM

I have been pretty successful with machine sewn bindings and have a few pictures to share that might help. First I cut my binding 2 1/4 inches and press in half with lots of starch. Wetting with starch before I fold helps the fabric stick to it self before pressing and I can get a good press and a stiff binding. After attaching the binding to the back, then fold the binding to the front and place the edge right on the stitching line. I then use my "stitch in the ditch" foot and move my needle from the center position to the right slightly. That way when I run the guide on the stitching line, it catches both the front and the back of the binding equal distance from the edge. The following pictures show how I turn the corner. Hope this helps.

I do not pin as I sew the sides, just use fingers to hold the binding on top of the stitch line
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183385[/ATTACH]

When approaching the corner, use a stilletto to hold the corner down and take your stitching to the fold, then stop with needle down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183387[/ATTACH]

After turning and taking a couple stitches, remove the pin and continue to the next corner
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183389[/ATTACH]

When completed, the visible stitch line should be equal from the edge on both sides
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183393[/ATTACH]

After sewing binding to back, fold to front and pin each corner on the stitch line to hold in place
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183394[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183379.jpe   attachment-183380.jpe   attachment-183381.jpe   attachment-183383.jpe   attachment-183387.jpe  

attachment-183388.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 PM

Thanks, Barbrdunn, I'll have to try that method for the corners. Very nice.