Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Binding On Quilts Without Getting Puckers >

Sewing Binding On Quilts Without Getting Puckers

Sewing Binding On Quilts Without Getting Puckers

Old 05-21-2015, 01:31 PM

Walking foot, bindong on bias, and stay stitching - perfect bindings!
Old 05-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

I sew the binding on *before* trimming the quilt edge. I use a long T-square and Sharpie permanent marker to mark a "virtual" edge on the quilt, sew the binding on with the binding's raw edge aligned with that virtual line, and only after that do I trim the edge to match the binding edge. This really helps me.

If using a straight stitch or zigzag to staystitch the edge before binding (and I agree this should help), again I would first mark the edge and then do this type of stitching *before* trimming the edge.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:44 PM

Ever since I discovered Sharon Schamber's glue basting method for bindings, I have had no problems with puckers. Check out her videos on youtube.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:59 AM

Thank you all. I am so ignorant about sewing machines that I do not know if this is a walking foot or not. It is a machine that was given to me and I don't think it is a really good one but does the basics. Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and I will try stay stitching and I might try the glueing thing. I will also check about walking foot. I think what is on the machine is the only foot. Thanks again.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by sinceresissy View Post
Thank you all. I am so ignorant about sewing machines that I do not know if this is a walking foot or not. It is a machine that was given to me and I don't think it is a really good one but does the basics. Anyway, thank you all for your suggestions and I will try stay stitching and I might try the glueing thing. I will also check about walking foot. I think what is on the machine is the only foot. Thanks again.
If you going to continue using the machine you have your best best would be to talk/visit a shop that sells machines and find out what you have/have not and/or need. At this point you are frustrating yourself because of not knowing what/ how to do.......
Old 05-22-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I sew the binding on *before* trimming the quilt edge. I use a long T-square and Sharpie permanent marker to mark a "virtual" edge on the quilt, sew the binding on with the binding's raw edge aligned with that virtual line, and only after that do I trim the edge to match the binding edge. This really helps me.

If using a straight stitch or zigzag to staystitch the edge before binding (and I agree this should help), again I would first mark the edge and then do this type of stitching *before* trimming the edge.
I like to leave a little to trim after the binding is sewn on, but not too many inches. It gets in the way. So I trim close to what will be the finished edge, but not quite up to it. I need that extra on there to finish the corners. When I turn corners when putting on binding, I sew up to 1/4 inch from the edge of the top, stop with needle in, turn quilt to sew into the tip of the corner, stopping just where the needle goes off the top and is into the batt and back fabric only. I do not take the quilt out of the machine at this point. Leave the needle in and turn quilt to sew down the other side. Bring binding down where it will be sewn, pinch excess binding in that corner and lay it down. You know what it is supposed to look like. Wiggle it around a little until the folds match up perfectly. Now lift the needle and move the quilt that 1/4 inch to the stitching line and begin sewing. No thread to cut and bunch up when you start sewing.

One more thing: When trimming the seam, I once cut into the binding as I was trimming at a corner. DON'T DO THAT!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:58 AM

Another vote for stay-stitching the edge before binding. I actually do my stay-stitching before I trim the backing and I think that helps me keep things laying flatter also.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post

Shows to go that there is more than one way to do this.

I always trim the batting and backing after quilting and before putting the binding on. I don't like fighting with that extra bulk - and it's easier for me to see what I'm trying to do.

I do, however, spend a lot of time getting the layers lined up as well as I can when layering them. After quilting, I lay the quilt out on the table and also spend "enough" time on it to make sure the edges are straight and the corners have 90 degree angles before I start cutting.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:08 PM

I concur that stay-stitching 1/4" from the edge solves many problems before you attempt to add the binding.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard View Post
Another vote for stay-stitching the edge before binding. I actually do my stay-stitching before I trim the backing and I think that helps me keep things laying flatter also.
I have a serger. Do you think tha would work as well? It would be fast and easy.