Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sewing machine that is light weight for travel

With christmas around the corner I find myself thinking of gifts my kids can get for me. I am the type that normally goes out and buys what I want when I want it. Right about now my DH and kids start to nag, I mean ask me what I would like. It is a real struggle. Now mind you I am not complaining its just hard.

Anyway I have been working with a friend teaching her the basics of sewing and quilting. We have been meeting at her home. Taking my Bernina QE is not an option for travel too heavy let alone I would hate to jar up the electronics. I was thinking a light weight sewing machine would be nice.

I just don't know which one. I am thinking of a machine that is about $150-$200. I don't want a reall expensive one I would only use it when traveling.

You are all such a wealth of information, thanks for your help.
    Have a great day,
    Denise

Sew and Vac has some reasonably priced ones. Check with your dealers they may have one that was turned in as a trade. Why not a Bernette???

Get a 221 Singer Featherweight since family wants to buy you one. Check on Ebay and such. They are lightweight and a real work horse. :D :D

Blog Entries
    The Janome Jem line of sewing machines has a really good rep among quilters, and they are lightweight. Here are some websites for them:

http://www.sewingroom.com/jem.htm

http://www.sewvacdirect.com/janome660jem.html

http://www.rosiescalicocupboard.com/

They vary in price depending on features. I think the Jem Gold Plus is the newest one with the most features.

I have a sears Kenmore that is a dream workhorse, fairly lightweight, that I carry when traveling.

I swear by my Janome Gem. It weighs only 11 pounds. I take it to classes all the time. It's highly portable and a real little workhorse. An expert quilter recommended it to me, so I purchased it for $199.00. It is the ONLY machine I have and I love it.

Dix
    Blog Entries
    I agree with Prism, you can not go wrong with Janome Jem line. I have 3 Janome and one Bernina and love them all, but my favorite for picking up and going is the Jem Silver.
    Good Luck,

me too!

there's another current thread on the exact same subject. see if you can hunt it down to read further comments.

edit - here you go:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/28006.page

Blog Entries
    redrummy - what model Kenmore do you have? I keep checking the Sears and Kenmore sites hoping they'll have a Jem equivalent. Thank you for the info.
    Mary Ellen

model # 385.12102 just a basic sewing machine, but light enough to carry when needed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast