Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: sewing machine for classes light weight

sewing machine for classes light weight

Hi, Im thinking of when Im feeling better joining a guild or class but cant carry my regular sized sewing machine anymore. I'll need something really lightweight. Someone mentioned a Janome Mini. Any other recommendations? what does everyone bring to classes or meetings? Thanks!!
    Barb

I carry a Janome 3160. It has all the features of some of the larger machines in a light weight.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

Blog Entries
    i have a brother cs6000i and love it
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I've had a Brother Inovis 950D about 9 months. It works for me.

Janome 760!! Perfect for classes...a good workhorse! Love it!
    Hilary

If you can get your hands on it, Pfaff Passport 2.0. That is my class machine, as it's lightweight (13.9 lbs), and it has IDT (built in walking foot). It has 70 stitches, adjustable presser foot pressure, auto threader, optional extension table. It sews beautifully. It doesn't have automatic thread cutter, but will tie off. I'm fine without it, as it's meant to be a lightweight machine.

I have the Babylock Audrey and its very lightweight and a workhorse with an extension table also!

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    i have a brother cs6000i and love it
    I too have this one - light weight and sews nicely. My problem is that I am so used to sewing on my Pfaff I have to stop and re-learn it every time, but I still like it a lot.
    Betty

A quilt will warm your body and comfort your soul.

http://notesfrommoosehaven.blogspot.com

Janome 720. Has all the features I want and lightweight. Great for retreats or classes.

The quilt guild woman i spoke to mentioned a Babylock sofia, but I think they are a little pricey. Anyone have one ?

Blog Entries
    How about a FW?
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Brother sq9050
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

I use the Bernina 350 - it is also used when the grandkids come up to sew. Nice machine.

I like the Janonme 3160 -- I had the 760 but I wanted the thread cutter. It is only 12 pounds but feels and sews like a heavier machine.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I like my Brother project runway---light weight and does what is needed at most classes--wheeeee

I vote for a brother. All of mine are so easy to use and not fussy about thread or lint.

Blog Entries
    I purchased a husqvarna viking 100 just for classes because of the weight and the constant unplugging of my bernina and janome. When computer scams into schools we were told to unplugged and put away every day. These machines were always going wrong. Once they could stay in situ no problems . I worry that unplugging our machines all the time does the same thing.
    The above machine has a selection of stitches as well as a good sewing stitch was recommended on create and craft sewing and purchased when on a special offer.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I recently purchased the Pfaff Passport. It's easy to tote around and has IDT. It's a great "take to class" machine.

I use my 1951 Featherweight.
    Cindy

Curator of an 1889 Singer model 27 Fiddlebase Treadle, a 1951 Singer Centennial Featherweight, a 1956 Singer 401A, and a 1982 Bernina 830 Record.

How about the old reliable Singer Featherweight, can't beat it for ease of transportation and reliability for stitching.

where do you find a feather weight?

A good start for finding a feather weight would be e-bay. Antique stores, junk shops, craige's list.

Quote Originally Posted by azure68 View Post
    If you can get your hands on it, Pfaff Passport 2.0. That is my class machine, as it's lightweight (13.9 lbs), and it has IDT (built in walking foot). It has 70 stitches, adjustable presser foot pressure, auto threader, optional extension table. It sews beautifully. It doesn't have automatic thread cutter, but will tie off. I'm fine without it, as it's meant to be a lightweight machine.
    I also just got one of these and Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by CoventryUK View Post
    Janome 760!! Perfect for classes...a good workhorse! Love it!
    I agree Hilary - I have the older Janome 720 - the same machine - but less stitches -- and I love it !!

As long as all you need is a straight stitch, I also recommend the Singer Featherweight - the ones made in the 1950s and 1960s. I have several, but my favorite is my white FW. I have the original case, but I carry it in a Coleman wheeled cooler. I have room inside for the machine, all my fabrics, threads, etc. There is a zipper pocket on the top of the cooler that carries all my marking tools, cutters, scissors and small rulers (12x12 and under). There are pockets on the outside for my lunch and bottled drinks. The only thing I can't put in it is my 6-1/2 x 18" ruler.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast